THE TOY SHIP

"My parents are coming for a visit," announced Captain Yager to the crew.

"If you don't mind my saying so, Captain," said Lisa, "you don't seem all that excited about that."

"Don't get me wrong, Commander. I'm really looking forward to seeing my mother. My father, on the other hand-" He trailed off.

"Your father is Lewis Yager, is that correct?" asked ship's android Roger.

"Yep."

"He fought in the Morlon war, correct?" Roger asked.

"Yes. He's the great war hero Lewis Yager of which he reminds me every chance he gets."

"He sounds like a great warrior," said Bortis.

"And I have no doubt he would agree with you 110%, Bortis."

"Do you not get along with your father, Captain?" Bortis asked him.

"It's . . . complicated."

"When are your parents coming onboard, Captain?" Tamala asked, trying to change the subject.

"They're scheduled to come onboard at any time."

"Well, I personally think it would be an honor to meet your Dad," Lisa said to him.

""Believe me, Commander, the honor would be all yours."

There was an awkward silence on the bridge. Lisa peered over at John and saw a tenseness in his face she had never seen before. Even in situations that seemed dire, the Captain usually seemed as calm as he could be. But this was different.

This was family.

"Captain," ship's pilot Zack said, "there is a shuttlecraft approaching the ship."

"Well," John began to say, "it looks like they're here." He started to get up off his seat. "Mr. Renjay, give them permission to land in the landing bay. I'm going down to greet them."

"Would you like for me to come along, Captain?" asked Lisa.

"No, that's all right, Commander," John told her as he started to walk off the bridge. "This is something I'll do myself. Thank you."

After he left the bridge, ship's android Roger said, "Is it just me or does the Captain seem tenser than usual?"

"No, Roger," said Lisa. "It isn't just you."

"Why would he seem tense? Is it because of his parents's visit?"

""Yes, Roger, it is."

"Why would the Captain be tense about a visit from his parents? Does he not wish to see them?"

Lisa let out a sigh. "Like the Captain said, Roger, it's complicated."

"Why is that, Commander?"

Lisa couldn't help but smile at the naive android.

"You've never had a family, have you, Roger?"

"No, Commander. Seeing how I'm an android, I have no family."

"Except for us," Tamala interjected, also smiling at Roger.

"Hmm," Roger muttered as he contemplated Tamala's words.

"We're certainly as dysfunctional as a typical family," Lisa said with a grin.

"You got that right," chimed in Zack.

Lisa and Tamala laughed at what Zack just said. Then Lisa gazed over at Bortis who had been silent during their conversation and asked him, "What say you, Bortis?"