WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

"Captain," Roger said, "a ship is approaching us."

"What ship is it?" asked the Captain.

"Unknown, sir. It's a small ship and-"

"Let me guess," John interrupted the android. "It's not an Alliance ship."

Roger shook his head. "No, sir."

"Tell me it's not Jack Ocana's ship."

"No, sir, though this ship is similar in size and functionality."

"Of course it is." John sighed as a feeling of dread swept over him. "Hail them, Mr. Renjay."

"Aye, sir." Zack paused. "They're responding to our hail, Captain."

John sighed again. "Viewscreen on."

Within seconds, a man appeared on the viewscreen. He wsa young-looking and wearing a strange hat.

"Hello, I'm Captain John Yager of the Alliance ship The Reliant."

"Howdy," the man said, placing his thumb and forefinger on the brim of his hat and cocking his head. "My name is Dillon Randall. I'm captain of this here ship The Ranger."

"Mr. Randall, are you in need of any assistance?"

"In a manner of speakin'. I'm lookin' for someone and I was wonderin' if you might could help me find him."

"Is he a frend of yours?"

"Hardly." Dillon snorted. "This man I'm lookin' for is a wanted criminal. I'm huntin' him down to collect the bounty on him."

John narrowed his eyes at the viewscreen.

"So I take it you're a bounty hunter then, Mr. Randall?"

"Call me Dillon, and why, yes, I am a bounty hunter, Captain."

"Well, Dillon, I take it you're not aware that bounty hunting is illegal within Alliance space and has been for years?"

"Why, no, Captain, I was not aware of that since it's been legal in every other system I've been in."

"Well, the Alliance is not like every other system you've been in."

He gave a terse nod of his head. "Obviously."

"Which system is the man you're hunting wanted in, if you don't mind my asking?"

Dillon hesitated before answering. "He's wanted in the Ragnar system, Captain."

"The Ragnar system, you say?" Dillon nodded. "That's pretty far out to come all this way just to collect a bounty on someone, isn't it?"

"Well, Captain, let's just say the money was just too good to pass up."

"What type of money are we talking about here; again, if you don't mind my asking?"

Dillon again hesitated before answering. "$17,000."

"$17,000?"

"Yes, sir. Seventeen big ones."

"He must really be a bad guy then for that amount of money."

"Yes, sir, Captain, he is a very bad hombre. He's wanted for murder, armed robbery, even rape, and those are just the major ones."

"How do you know this man is in this system?"

"I asked around and was told he was seen headin' out in y'al's neck of the woods."

"Pardon me, but your neck of the woods?" queried Roger.