Chapter 49

*Mature Content Warning*

My body felt stiff as I let out a groan and tried to stretch out my legs. I felt like I was being restrained, hardly able to move myself so much as a wiggle. I fluttered my eyes open and the room was still dark, 4:53 a.m. lingering on the clock that Draco had placed above his fireplace.

I glanced down and noticed his arms holding on to me tightly, making my lips creep up into a smile despite the amount of distaste he had shown me just a few hours ago. I could feel his feet shuffle slightly as his legs were entertwined with mine, making himself more comfortable.

My eyes traveled back up to his face that rested almost against mine, my nose so close to touching his. His perfect lips were barely parted, almost whistling as his soft breaths traveled through them.

I studied his face, taking in every inch and detail that I had missed as he grew and matured over the last few months. The small scar that ran through one of his brows and created a slit in it. His wild bed hair that messily fell over his face. All of the small things. The perfect things.

If only he had this much peace when he was awake.

I didn't want to take this moment for granted. I'd take what I could get, even if it was him touching me sweetly subconsciously. Even if he was completely unaware that he was holding me this way.

He was such an angel. And a nightmare. All wrapped up into one.

I tucked my face under his cheek in the small space that he had between him and his pillow. He groaned slightly as his body twitched, making me worry that he would wake up.

But he didn't.

His arms just tightened around me even further and his cheek rubbed against my head as he snuggled into me. His hand laced itself into my hair behind my head and I could hear his soft mumbles in my ear as he dreamed.

"I don't hate you," my lips moved, but the words hardly came out in fear of waking him. "I didn't mean it. I'm sorry."

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths, hoping to enter the same reality he was in.

The next time I woke up I was alone, the sheets next to me tossed around and messy. I sat up and looked around to see that the curtains were pulled open and the daylight was shining in brightly. I climbed down from his bed and shivered as my bare feet hit the cold wooden floor, the chilly air greeting me from the fire being put out.

I walked over to his closet and entered, looking around at the clothes that hung on his hangers. I reached my own section and pulled out a pair of short gym shorts from my years on the quidditch pitch, pulling them on with my t-shirt and getting ready to head downstairs for some breakfast.

I could hear Draco's voice in the kitchen, making me slow down in my tracks as I dared to enter. I didn't exactly know how to look at him now. Knowing what I knew from the middle of the night, but having to keep in mind the dreadful lad I had spent the previous day with.

Narcissa's voice hushed as she saw me in the doorway, her lips turning to a smile as she stood up straight from how she was leaned across the counter to talk with her son. Draco glanced over his shoulder at me before I saw him roll his eyes.

"Did you sleep well?" Cissy chirped, preparing a plate of food for me while Draco stirred his spoon around in his tea cup.

"Peachy." I mumbled, hesitantly walking towards a chair that sat a few feet away from him. I could see him glance at me out of the corner of his eye before he picked up his mug and took a long sip.