Chapter 55

I peeled my burning and swollen eyes open, and felt how stiff and uncomfortable my body actually was. I let out a small whimper as I remembered the events that had just occurred a few hours earlier. I tucked my face against Draco's neck and felt comfort wash over me as I smelt his familiar cologne.

"Good morning, pretty girl." Draco whispered, I leaned back slightly to look at him and he leaned his head up from the headboard, peaking his eyes open to glance down at me on top of him.

"I thought you were sleeping." I rubbed my eyes as I tried my best to look at him clearly. We were still cuddled up in the same awkward position he wrapped us up in last night when I woke up. He sat up against the back of the bed while I sat across his lap and let him cradle me.

"I told you I'd stay awake. I didn't want something to happen." He sighed, running his hand across his face. I could tell how tired he was just by the way he was speaking to me.

"You need sleep. That's not fair to you." I argued with him. "You didn't need to stay up for me. You've already been going through enough of a hard time as it is, I don't want to add worrying about me to your list."

"Let me clear a few things up for you, knucklehead." He teased, though his voice wasn't as playful as he believed it to be. Instead it came out in a typical Draco hiss. "First, I don't buy that excuse considering you come to me for literally every single one of your problems. Even when I treat you like garbage or hurt you, somehow I'm the one you're running to for comfort. Second, I will continue to worry for you if you're going to wake up and scream the way you did early this morning. Third, I've been drifting in and out of sleep all night. How about you don't worry about me?" He whispered, but I knew better than to buy his last question.

I crawled off of him carefully before I laid down on my own side of the bed. I felt the loss of warmth instantly and opened my arms up for him to lay with me.

"Please, come here." I mumbled, giving him my best puppy eyes and waiting. He gave me a soft smile to replace his grumpy attitude before he stretched out his body, a few of his joints cracking in the process, and he laid his head against my chest.

"Mmm, I love you." He mumbled, his eyes shutting instantly and his words blurring together.

"Don't ever stop telling me that." I huffed out quietly as I raked my fingers through his messy hair. "I just got you back. Now who knows when the last time I hear it will be." I whispered.

"Emmy, don't talk like that." Draco's voice was muffled from his face being squished against my body, but I could still make out the words. "Can I see your dream?" He asked, but before I could answer the question he did it anyway. "Legilimens."

I stiffen my body, and flinch back into the soft mattress as I prepare to see it all over again. Draco takes notice of my fearfulness before he shifts his arms around me and keeps his eyes closed.

"Shhh, I know it's scary. I just want to watch." He whispered. His tongue poked out of his mouth slightly and his brows knitted themselves together as he concentrated.

"I'm confused-"

"Shhh." He waved me off.

When I used this spell on him, I could see everything he saw. How do I see nothing if he's in my brain watching the dream?

He's the best wizard you know, idiot.

"Oh." He said flatly as he kept his eyes closed.

That couldn't be his only reaction. There's no way he's seen it all.

"I feel horrible for you, Emmy. Really. It's a low blow to show you Potter's death. I'm not sure why he'd know that you even care." Draco mumbled as his focused movements continued. His tongue rolled on the inside of his mouth, poking at his cheek.