Chapter 4

Tails was at town one day getting some stuff for his workshop. Recently, he had gotten his very own house, which came with a workshop of his own. Sonic always came over daily to visit him, which was always something to look forward to. At first, he hadn't been to fond of living away from his brother, but was reassured by Sonic in the end that he would always visit him and that he wasn't far. That made him feel better, but it still took a while for him to get used to having his own place to live. Luckily, he manged.

    After getting what he needed, he was just turning to head home when he was suddenly knocked over by something. At first, he thought that he accidentally ran into a pole or something. But when he stood and glanced upwards, his face paled. Standing there, towering over him, were none other than his old tormentors. "Well, well, well. Look who it is," said one, obviously the leader. "It's none other than that freak we've been looking for."

    "Come on guys. Can you at least give me a break?" said Tails, feeling hurt at hearing that word again. "I'm busy here."

    "With what? Getting stuff for your stupid inventions?" said one of the lackies

    "They're not stupid," said Tails. "You're just a bunch of jerks who are missing out on something cool. You just don't care."

    The bullies didn't like that answer. They immediately stated beating him up, only to run away screaming several minutes later. Curled up in a ball for protection, Tails was confused at not feeling any beatings until a hand gently touched his head. "Are you alright?" said a voice.

    Shivering, Tails looked up, only to be met with purple eyes belonging to a certain red Enchida. "Hey Knuckles," he said.

    Knuckles nodded. "You okay?" he asked again.

    "Would've been better if I hadn't run into those bullies," Tails answered. "Plus, ugh, I think I feel a little sore from those beatings."

    Knuckles raised an eyebrow. "This isn't the first time this has happened to you, hasn't it?" he asked.

    Tails shook his head. "Nope. Not the first time," he said. "And usually, they end much worse."

    Knuckles knew what Tails was talking about. Deciding to get him home, he scooped him up into his hand (his hands were pretty big), grabbed his bags, and headed off to Tails's house. "Knuckles, you do know I can walk by myself, right?" asked the little fox, who looked pretty small in Knuckles's hand.

    "I know," Knuckles replied. "I just want to help you."

    Tails couldn't argue with that fact. He stayed silent the whole way home.
..............................................................................................................
    Tails sat still on the couch as Sonic got his injuries taken care of, flinching as the speedster placed an ice pack on his nose. He had come over as soon as Knuckles had contacted him and filled him in on what happened. "How those jerks found their way here, I have no idea," he was saying, "but this isn't good."

    "You're telling me," Tails replied. "I thought I was going to have dejavu when I recognized them."

    "Good thing Knuckles was there to stop them," said Sonic. "Next time I see them, I will not hesitate to give them a piece of my mind."

    Tails shuddered, the thought of possibly facing those jerks again being high. He felt better, however, when Sonic wrapped him in a hug. "And I will make sure that they won't bother you again," he added sincerely. "Next time this happens, call me. Okay?"

    The kit didn't say anything. All he could do was nod in reply. But all the same, he was thankful for that. He did return the embrace, however, letting his big brother know how safe he was around him.