Chapter 36

This one's gonna be a short one. Might change my mind on the length, but I really need a break from the last one.

    Sonic was getting back home after one of his daily runs one day when his communicator buzzed, indicating that he got something. Confused, Sonic turned it on. "Who is it?" he asked.

    "Hey, Sonic," said Cosmo from the other side. "Thank goodness I was able to call you. I need your help with something."

    Sonic was curious. "What's going on?" he asked.

    "It's Tails," Cosmo replied, he voice edged with worry. "It's a long story, but he's feeling pretty glum about something, and I don't know what it is."

    "Have you tried talking to him?" asked Sonic, now worried.

    "I tried," Cosmo answered, "but whatever is bothering him, he won't tell me. He was pretty upset."

    Sonic grew serious. "I'm on my way, Cosmo," he said as he changed direction. "I'll be there in no time."

    With that, he was soon on his way to Tails' place.
...................................................................................................
    By the time he arrived, his worry for Tails was clearly showing. What was wrong with him? When he got there, Cosmo was outside, waiting for him. "I'm so glad you're here," she said. "Tails really needs help. He should be in his room."

    Sonic nodded. "I'm sure I'll get him to talk," he said as they entered the house. "It hasn't been the first time my little bro was bothered with something. How'd you know that there was something wrong?"

    "He came back from shopping in town for some more invention stuff he needed," Cosmo explained. "But when he arrived, he was looking all glum and sad. I tried asking him what was wrong, but he didn't say. He just placed his stuff in the workshop and just... left for his room. I figured I'd give him some time alone while calling you."

    Sonic sighed. "Yeah. Something's really wrong. I've seen it before," he said. "I'll go talk to him."

    Cosmo nodded in reply. While she went to the kitchen to make something for Tails, Sonic headed upstairs to Tails' room. "Tails? You okay?" he asked, knocking on the door.

    The only response he got was a whimper. Concerned, Sonic opened the door and quietly stepped in, not wanting to frighten his brother. Looking around as he closed the door behind him, he caught sight of an orange-gold ball of fluff laying in a corner of the room, trembling a bit. Smiling a bit at how cute he looked like that, Sonic quietly and carefully walked toward it, wanting to help. He knelt down in front of it and, reaching out a hand, laid it on top of the furry ball. "I'm here, little bro," he said. "It's okay. You can come out now."

    A sniffle sounding out, Tails slowly rose his head out of his ball, his eyes filled with tears that stained his face. Looking up and seeing who it was that talked to him just made the tears fall out more. A gentle, sympathetic smile crossed Sonic's face. "What's wrong, little brother?" asked the hedgehog, stroking one of Tails' fluffy... well, tails.

    Tails just looked back down. "Are we... related?" he finally asked after a while.

    Sonic was a bit taken back by this. "Of course we are," he said. "We're brothers. What made you think that?"

    "That's not what I meant," Tails replied. "What I'm trying to ask is... Are we related by blood?"

    Sonic was confused. "You mean, as in the same type of animal?" he asked.