Chapter 8

Months passed, and Tails and Sonic's bond was growing stronger and stronger by the day. It was almost like nothing would break it; it could withstand anything. And no matter what, they'd always be there to help each other through it. Like that time one day when they were fighting Eggman's robots again. It wasn't much of a surprise at this point; just a regular occurrence. I mean, if you were on Sonic's team, you'd expect it to happen at some point. Tails was an experienced physical fighter at this point thanks to Sonic's training; he was able to swing a wrench around to give robots a good bash, and he was also inspired by Sonic to create his own spin dash, which was impressive to say the least. Just goes to show what a quick learner he was. But then, things suddenly went downhill when one of Eggman's robots spotted Tails and fired at him. The fox was frozen to the spot in fear and shock when Sticks warned him. Noticing the scene unfolding before him and feeling his brotherly instincts kick in, Sonic hurried over and blocked Tails from the shots at the last second, shielding him with his own body but getting badly injured in the process.

    Tails was frightened at what he just witnessed, snapping him out of his shock. Knuckles proceeded to bash that robot to bits while Tails got Sonic away to safety. Taking a look at his back after he landed, Tails's eyes widened in fright at the wounds Sonic sustained protecting him. Sonic was happy however. "If... it meant... protecting you... I would... do it... again in a... heartbeat," he managed to say, weakened by the shots as he went unconscious.

    Tails gasped as he watched his brother become still, leaning down close and placing an ear onto Sonic's chest where his heart was, praying for a heartbeat. Luckily, he heard a steady "bum-bum", letting him know that Sonic didn't die. This made him sigh with relief. "Just hang in there bro," he said, trying his best not to panic as tears appeared in his eyes. "You're gonna be fine. I gotta take you to the hospital."

    Grabbing Sonic's wrists with each hand, Tails's namesakes snapped into action, twisting themselves and spinning upon release. Tails lifted himself and Sonic into the air and flew as fast as he could towards the hospital. Arriving there, he burst through the door while practically dragging Sonic. "Help! Somebody please help!" he exclaimed. "You gotta help him! He's been shot!"

    A few doctors and nurses hurried over and got Sonic into the emergency room. Tails sat in one of the chairs in the waiting room, hoping that Sonic would be okay. Glumly, he drew his legs up to his chest and wrapped his twin tails around himself, burying his face in his knees and blaming himself for not moving out of the way in time. If I'd just listen to Sticks, this wouldn't have happened, he thought as he let the tears fall.
..............................................................................................................
    A few hours later, Tails had fallen into a light slumber when a kind nurse gently shook his shoulder, waking him up. "Is Sonic gonna be okay?" he asked.

    The nurse nodded. "He'll be okay," she said. "The shots didn't hit anything major, so he'll be good to go in no time after some rest."

    Tails sighed inwardly in relief. "Can I see him?" he asked.

    The nurse smiled. "Of course you can," she said. "Follow me."

    She led him to room #7 and opened the door. Peeking in, Tails saw his brother laying in bed, his back covered in bandages and a heart monitor connected to him in case something happened. "If anything happens," she said, "just call for us, and we'll be right there." With that, she closed the door and left.

    Now that he was alone with his unconscious brother, the guilt crashed back down on Tails like a tidal wave. Dragging a chair next to the bed, he sat down and slipped his hand into Sonic's. "I'm sorry for not listening to Sticks, Sonic," he said. "I was stupid enough to not move when that thing was pointed at me. I thought you died when you shielded me. I was so scared."