Fifteen

Seated at Aurelius's overly long dining table—he had to have been compensating for something—Faryn pushed the gnocchi around her plate with her fork. At any moment Aurelius would appear. Her stomach churned at the idea of facing him. With only a few words he had the power to crush her. She had given him that power.

         Cassian's hand brushed hers before he closed it around her fork, putting a pause to her pushing and scraping. She tensed at having him this close to her, when there were no Cupids too fool. When it was purely his choice. Her heart rate picked up. He had to be able to hear it.

         Across from them, Peter lowered his fork, his hand inching toward his knife. Did he think Cassian meant to harm her here? Though could she be that shocked if Peter did or if Cassian harmed her? She had led them here with the promise of aid. A promise she couldn't keep.

         "You need to eat," Cassian said.

         The fingers of her freehand curled much like her stomach. She would if she could. But the idea of food held about as much appeal as shoving her head through a hole in the ice and waiting to see what would take a bite of her first.

         "We need you at your full strength."

         "You need me alive, you mean." She still hadn't completely ruled out the theory that his mother was somehow behind Nick's disappearance.

         He pulled back, baring his teeth for the briefest moment, as if he could see through her eyes to the thoughts underneath. Was it really all that shocking to him that she wouldn't find him trustworthy?

         Peter slouched in his seat. "You both are exhausting. Has anyone ever told you that?"

         Before either of them could answer, tendrils of ebony black smoke curled around the chair at the head of the able, wrapping over its armrests and tightening around the back of it like a noose. It thickened and grew until it faded quicker than it appeared leaving Aurelius in its wake.

         His eyes met Faryn's first. She stared into the darkness his brown eyes offered and found not one ounce of remorse. She tore her gaze from him, fixing it on her plate, but not before she noticed Cassian's nostrils flare.

         "I trust you've secured a flight to Reyarney?"

         Peter informed him that he had booked transportation but wouldn't go into the details.

         A servant soon brought out a plate for Aurelius. It had been surprising that they had been served without Aurelius present but maybe his staff had suspected Krampus wouldn't show.

         She toyed with the fork in her hand, the idea of stabbing Aurelius with it suddenly rather appealing. But considering the state of her reputation, it was best she refrained from going anywhere near Winter Court members while she held sharp objects. Though could her reputation really sink any lower? Her world already though she had murdered one of the most beloved holiday figures.

         But couldn't she at least chuck this plate of uneaten food at him? That would be rather satisfying.

         Cassian must have seen the glint in her eyes because under the table his hand not so subtly brushed against her thigh. No, it seemed to say.

         She jerked her leg away from him.

         Another servant arrived, coming to stop beside Aurelius. He leaned down to whisper something in Aurelius's ear.

         Krampus's expression tightened before he pushed his chair back and stood. "You all have to leave. Now."

         The attendant shook his head and whispered again to Aurelius. With her hearing she was able to make out one word. Perchta.