Thirty-Eight

It took them over twenty-four hours to finally reach Franavik. Faryn's nerves were wound tight the entirety of the time. During their layover in Norway, Faryn kept expecting Klaus or her cousin to walk around a corner, and once they landed in Greenland that fear only grew because if they knew she had come here, then they could easily guess Clora was with Father Winter.

Even once in Greenland, they had to board two extra planes, each smaller than any of the others they had taken and the latter smaller still. From that plane they took a Human train before Peter rented a car.

She had hated explaining to customs their reasons for coming to Greenland. They had to see she was omitting information. But how could she tell the truth when it was that she was trying to find her fugitive mother and meet her grandfather for the first time ever. So she stuck with the basics. She was visiting family, and when they asked the extent of her stay, she tried to confidently say two weeks. Would they come find her if she hadn't left by then?

She longed to traveling by Acurial transportation and not have to deal with any red tape but that was only if you weren't a fugitive wanted for kidnapping/killing one of the most beloved holiday figures.

The fact that Franavik wasn't on any human maps made it only more difficult to get to.

When they finally reached the city, it was the wee hours of the morning. The sun had yet to rise, and a greenish-blue sky framed the gothic brown buildings of Franavik. Spires rose from many of them, and flying buttresses jutted from them as well as if Franavik were a collection of cathedrals. In the distance was a towering peek that overlooked the city. Faryn had heard that was where Father Winter resided.

Peter drove through the open gates of the city. Inside, the sidewalks were covered in fresh snow though the streets had clearly recently been plowed. There wasn't a soul in sight though there were a few footprints in the powder. The wind rattled the sparse branches of a tree that was draped in red ribbon.

Faryn rubbed her arms. She already didn't like it here. It felt like a city of ghosts, like she was being watched by something on the other side of a veil she could not push aside.

Peter drove through the streets, headed for the peak they had seen before entering the city. Soon he wound the car up it, headlights jutting out before them offering so little light that Faryn held her breath until they reached the top where a snowy plain awaited them. A gray stone mansion sat in the middle, set against the greenish sky. The aurora borealis, that had not been present the last time Faryn had looked up, shimmered in an ombre of flamingo pinks and apple greens. Magic must be causing it to weave and writhe over the house; was that one of her grandfather's powers?

Grabbing her bag, Faryn reached for the door handle. Lights were on in various windows throughout the four-story mansion. Either her mother was here, or she had led her daughter to a trap.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Peter asked when Faryn hesitated too long.

She shook her head. "I need to go first. I'll come and get you once it's okay."

She started to step out of the car, but Cassian grabbed her arm.

"Are you sure?"

She could tell him the truth. That she felt like she was going to puke. That she was worried about what she'd find inside. But if her mother was in trouble, she didn't want them implicated. "Keep watch."

He released her, and her boots landed in the snow, the powder crunching with each step she took toward the house, following the driveway that had been cleared of snow. It was hard to imagine Father Winter shoveling snow, but envisioning her family using their powers for chores created an odd picture that gave her sitcom feelings.