Twenty-Seven

Ziva crossed the room, her gown swishing around her feet with each step. "Continue." Her voice held authority and yet at the same time there was an undercurrent to it that was tender.

Harumi stepped through the doors before Faryn could bring words to her lips. Her stomach sunk and flipped until she felt like she'd throw up.

Harumi was as beautiful as spring itself, her black hair swept over one shoulder and was threaded with baby's breath. Her dress, made of an almost sheer pink fabric, had rose petals sewn into the fabric. Though plucked, they'd never wilt as long as Harumi willed them to live. Her face twisted as she looked upon Faryn, and the look she wore should have been enough to turn spring into winter.

Ziva, still making her way toward Faryn, didn't pay Harumi any heed.

"Please." Faryn's voice trembled. "I'm worried about my mother. I need to get to Ruhnerium."

Sweeping past Mother Nature, Spring the Beauty's hands were in fists. "Your mother has no one to fear but you."

Faryn tried to stand, but Cassian placed a hand on her shoulder, stepping in front of her.

"We require safe passage to Ruhnerium to clear our names."

Harumi crossed her arms, her fingers resting delicately against her skin. "Then turn yourselves into Winter."

Cassian rolled his shoulders. "Faryn would never receive a fair trial. Her cousin has already tried to kill her."

Ziva turned her focus back on Faryn. "Have you ever been to Ruhnerium?" Though she looked as if she couldn't have been more than thirty, Ziva was over a thousand years old.

"I haven't."

"Are you certain this is where you wish me to escort you? I can allow you passage almost anywhere"

"I have to check on my mother."

Nodding once, Ziva took a step back. "Very well. I will offer you my sanctuary to Ruhnerium."

Faryn bowed her head again. "Thank you."

Harumi drew close. "My husband and daughter will make the journey with you to ensure everyone makes it to Ruhnerium safely."

"They aren't even here," Cassiopeia said, her voice weary.

Harumi turned on her heel. "They will once I call them," she said before sweeping through the doors.

Isoke looked over her shoulder at them. "Jack will show up," she said, and her wings seemed to droop.

Faryn stood to her feet, her limbs feeling weak. Moroz and the Snow Maiden were already bad enough, but if her cousin joined them, she wouldn't make it to Ruhnerium in one piece even with Mother Nature's sanctuary.

"He's with Eros," Isoke said to Peter. "And I can guarantee Harumi will be calling her."

Peter rubbed his forehead. "Please tell me she at least won't bring any Cupid with her."

Isoke crossed her arms, the barest glimpse of amusement sparking in her eyes, in the tilt of her lips. "She doesn't need Cupid."

Peter ran a hand through his hair, scowling. "I dread the day she tries setting me up with one of you."

Their run in with the Cupid was still fresh in Faryn's mind. She didn't want to ever have to fear being shot with a cursed love arrow again.

Cassiopeia let her arms fall to her sides, the rose dangling between her fingers. "Eros isn't like that anymore."