-Chapter III-

"Alby, I swear to god if you-"

"I'm not asking you to participate!" Alby shouted, turning to the girl who was following close behind him towards the maze doors. "But we don't have a choice."

"Are you hearing yourself? We haven't tried shit! Maybe we could figure something out this time!" She protested now standing in front of him.

"Evelyn stop! Who's the leader here?" Alby asked, the girl turning her head away from him as she scoffed.

"You."

"And as the leader you know I need to do what's best for everyone."

"So you're killing Ben?" She asked raising her hands.

"Evelyn." He said warningly. "I don't want to, I have to. If you can't watch then get back to work." Alby said passing her and walking towards the rest of the boys who held poles up ready to push one of their own into the horror that is the maze.

Alby was never so tough on Evelyn and it caused a surprised expression to take over her face but that was quickly replaced with sadness as she watched Minho drag Ben over to the doors.

"Minho, wait. Hey don't-"

"Evelyn get out of here." Minho pleaded to the girl clearly not wanting to do it himself but he knew what he had to do and accepted that and you'd think after two years Evelyn would too. But she definitely did not.

She knew she couldn't do anything for Ben. She couldn't convince Alby. Ben was considered dead as soon as he was stung but that didn't exactly sit well with her.

She turned around and started towards the med hut passing Thomas as she did, the boys eyes staring at her as she walked away. He's known her a day but he felt some type of connection with her that he couldn't explain.

The sound of the doors beginning to open startled Thomas as his head whipped from the med hut to the group of boys but his eyes landed on Ben. He was stripped down to only a tank top and shorts, ropes around his body that were there to contain him, sweat and dirt everywhere. It wasn't an easy sight to see.

Minho threw a bag filled with limited supplies into the maze, Ben looking to him with pleading eyes as a whimper left his mouth.

"Minho please." He cried.

"Poles." Alby voiced loudly as all the boys lowered their poles to the height of Ben's torso, starting to push him in. As the doors started to move, Ben was struggling to get past the boys but they wouldn't let their grip on the poles falter.

"No! Please, I didn't mean it!" He cried as he pushed against the poles with the little strength he had. "I'm sorry."

Only a few feet away from the doors, Ben looked over to Minho with a look mixed of betrayal and sadness. "Minho."

"Alby, don't do this." Ben looked to the dark skinned boy and shook his head vigorously. "Stop! Please stop it!"

He was halfway through the doors having no other choice but to walk into the maze. Before they closed completely, his eyes landed on Thomas and stayed there until the doors sealed with him on the wrong side. The side that held certain death.

•|•|•

Bright and early the next morning, Evelyn stood by the entrance of the maze with Minho and Alby as they opened, a strong gust of wind blowing into their faces for a moment.

"Don't do anything stupid now." Evelyn said to the two before sending them a small grin. Alby wasn't a runner but he wanted to help Minho retrace Bens foot steps. She girl was quite worried to say the least.