-Chapter X-

"Thomas!" She screamed behind a door but he was helpless against the guards that held him back.

"Thomas." He heard it again this time calmer.

"Thomas, hey." His eyes shot open to find Evelyn staring down at him with a relieved smile on her face. "You okay?"

He just stared at her for a moment longer not wanting to look away as he now knows just how he lost her. "What the hell were you thinking?" He turned his head to the sound of Chucks voice causing him to sit up now realizing he was in the pit with Evelyn.

Along with Chuck sat Newt and Minho outside the pit looking in, with Teresa beside Evelyn.

"What happened?" He questioned trying to keep his stare off of Evelyn but he couldn't help it as she spoke.

"You're a dumbass, that's what happened." She said very seriously referring to him willingly sticking a griever stinger into his leg.

"Gally's taken control." Newt stated leaning against the pit. "Said we had a choice. Either join him, or get banished at sundown with you."

He grunted as he sat up, his head still a little achy from the previous night. "The others agreed to that?"

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened." Teresa added to which Thomas sighed.

"Well, he's been right so far." Thomas said causing Evelyn to send him a weird look.

Minho squinted his eyes at the boy like he was dumb. "What are you talking about?"

"This place...It's not what we thought it was." He said slowly, still trying to comprehend it all himself. "It's not a prison it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges and they'd experiment on us."

He took a solemn look around before he started explaining again. "And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other like clockwork."

"Sending them to the maze." Newt stated looking at Thomas who nodded.

"Yeah, but not all of us." He paused looking at each and every one of them with a partially sad expression. "Guys, I'm one of them."

"The people who put you here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years and all the time you've been here...I was on the other side of it." His gaze then drifted to Teresa. "So were you."

Her glossy eyes went round. "What?"

"Teresa, we did this to them." He said, eyes landing on Evelyn to catch a puzzled look shone across her features.

"No." Teresa simply said shaking her head, a single tear running down the side of her face. "That can't be true."

"It is. I saw it."

"W-why would they send us up if we were with them?" Teresa asked trying to make sense of all this.

"It doesn't matter."

"He's right." Newt spoke. "Doesn't matter. Any of it. Cause the people we were before the maze, they don't even exist anymore. These creators took care of that...But what does matter is who we are now, and what we do now. You went into the maze and you found a way out."

Thomas shook his head, guilt flooding in as he thought of all the kids who died last night. "Yeah but if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive."

"Maybe. But I know that if he were here he'd be telling you the exact same thing...Pick your ass up and finish what you started. Because if we do nothing, than that means Alby died for nothing and I can't have that."