[37]

"Pulling my arm isn't going to make me walk any faster!"

I laugh as I drag my half-conscious girlfriend across the parking garage towards my car. I had set an alarm ridiculously early without her knowledge and proceeded to force Mackenzie out of bed, into clothes, and out of her brother's apartment, all before five o'clock in the morning.

I haven't had 'the talk' with her about why I'd been so distant after the ski trip. I spent time with my family, and I enjoyed catching up with my brother; I finally went out and bought all of my Christmas presents. I texted her back and explained why I had been so unavailable, and she understood, so I decided that I would finally explain myself. I planned a date for today, stayed over at hers last night, and explained the plan to her – to an extent – which she was completely on board with.

I think she's regretting it now because I failed to mention how early the early wake-up was going to be.

"This date better not be around people," Mackenzie mutters tiredly to me once she's seated in my car, her head resting against the window and her eyes closed. "You have forced me to leave the house looking like a tramp."

"Well, personally, I think you look beautiful." I smile, leaning across the car and placing a soft kiss on her tired lips. My smile widens when I see the way her lips stretch into a smile that mirrors mine at the contact. "And like I said last night, it is just the two of us."

"Good." She mumbles, her fingers lacing with mine as she goes back to sleep. The drive to our date is a good half an hour away, so I don't mind if she goes back to sleep. If it means she's awake and enjoys it later, I'll take a silent car ride any day of the week.

The radio is on quietly in the background as I drive to the place where I plan to explain myself. Despite the fact I came out at school, I still felt too awkward going on dates in town just in case anyone saw us and told my parents before I got the chance to. Now that my parents know and are totally supportive, I don't feel like I can't show Mack off to the world, and it's about time I start appreciating her the way she deserves to be.

If it weren't so early in the morning, I would've grabbed milkshakes from Benny's. However, we're about two hours too early for their breakfast menu and about five for their lunch, so that was out of the question. I instead opted to bring a flask of black coffee along as well as some pastries and other cold breakfast "picky bits," as my dad calls them. It seems a bit silly bringing cold food on a cold date, but I'm hoping the coffee and the blankets stuffed in the back of my car will be enough to keep us warm.

Mackenzie shifts in her seat and starts to wake just as I pull into the gravelly parking space a short walk away from our destination. She rubs at her eyes as she stirs, her grey eyes the colour of cold steel as they start to focus on our surroundings. "Where are we?"

"You'll see in a minute," I reply cryptically. The plan is to keep her in the dark as much as possible, just to make the surprise that little bit sweeter. I get out of the car, and Mackenzie follows suit, watching me with a curious gaze as I grab the blankets and the bag containing breakfast from the back seat. "Will you carry these for me, please?"

Mack nods, and I toss them in her direction, catching them with ease before lacing our hands together. The sky is still dark as we walk over to a small dirt path at the end of the makeshift parking lot, the silence between us a comfortable one. Despite the early start, Mackenzie still takes my breath away. Her hair is in a messy bun, and she's wearing my soccer hoodie from last season, but she still smells like her signature vanilla perfume, and her hand is warm in my own.

We walk for a good ten minutes before we enter a clearing at the top of a hill, welcomed by a view of the impending sunrise that is due in the next twenty minutes. I wanted to do something romantic and unique, and I've always wanted to watch the sunrise from up here. I hear Mackenzie gasp slightly as she takes in the view, her face captured in wonder.