[16]

"So where exactly are we going tonight?"

I tear my eyes away from my reflection in the mirror in the changing rooms we're currently occupying; my right lash clamped in my tweezers, to look at Raven as she aims her question at our ring leader, April. I think Raven speaks on behalf of everyone currently here when she asks that question because April has been incredibly tight lipped about her plans for this evening. I have heard of a couple of parties happening around here but so far nothing has been mentioned as to where we're going to be spending our evening.

April just shrugs nonchalantly as she pulls the hem of her dress down, fluffing up her red hair and refusing to answer the question that was thrown her way. I can tell she's really struggling to keep up this act, her nose is twitching and her eyes are sparkling. Both actions are tell-tale signs that she has a secret that she can't wait to spill. I catch her gaze in the mirror and raise an eyebrow, watching as she is unable to tear her grin from her face when she realises I know exactly how she's feeling.

"Okay fine, I'll tell you!" She eventually caves under my stare. Everyone in the group whips their gazes up from whatever makeup or preparation they were doing to focus on her. I catch Mackenzie's gaze as she looks at me with a grin on her face, her expression suggesting she knew I was who got her to silently give in. I just wink at her as April claps her hands together bouncing on her feet as she stalls for dramatic effect. "I scored us tickets to the opening of Vanity Lounge!"

"Vanity Lounge is an adult gay bar." Raven says slowly. "None of us are twenty one."

Everyone murmurs in agreement, and even I find myself questioning my best friend's sanity. It's one thing getting her sister to buy the tickets as a way of verifying age, but none of us have ID so the second we turn up to the club opening we're getting turned away. April scoffs and walks over to her bag and rummages around, everyone looking at her with confusion. "Do you honestly think I haven't been planning this for a while? I knew I was going to bring us here the second Mackenzie broke into our group. You can think of this as an acceptance into the soccer team Mackenzie."

This is definitely just an initiation for Mackenzie. I can't help but mutter sarcastically in my head. April knew she could use Mackenzie's sexuality as a way of diverting attention from the fact she's no doubt doing this for the both of us. I can't help but admit the fact that I'm excited to go, if we can even get in, because I want to start to embrace the way I feel and I know going to Vanity Lounge is the perfect starting place. April emerges from her bag holding onto seven fake IDs, one for each of us going. Devon already has one so I'm assuming that's why she hasn't got eight. Everyone starts asking questions about how she managed to afford seven IDs, where she got the photos from, and why she had to pick the worst photos imaginable for them, but April simply smirks and says people owe her favours. Raven looks at her ID with horror, showing me the photo April picked for her, and even I can't tell her it isn't bad. It's an awful photograph, a photo taken by the yearbook this year no doubt after April's beginning of the year party when everyone was still hungover two days later. Raven's bags are dark and obvious, her eyes dull and her face clean of makeup. She's not smiling, and her facial expression suggests she'd rather be anywhere else.

I look at April and shake my head in disappointment, seeing that everyone else has a photo of them smiling and looking presentable. At least she has the decency to look guilty and cringe at the group's reaction. I know she's done that as a way of getting back at Raven for being in a relationship with Derek which is very immature on her part. I look at Mackenzie and beg her with my eyes to break the awkward tension that has risen within the group. She nods her head and clears her throat before pointing at Raven's fake ID. "I'd fvck you even with the bags Raven. Just tell people it was picture day right after a night with me. I have a reputation of keeping you up all night. Call me if ever you want to find out."