[26]

"Favourite holiday destination."

I watch with curious eyes as Mackenzie's face scrunches up in thought, her own gaze locked on her toes as they skim across the surface of my pool.

There's a whole party going on inside, the music vibrating through the floor of my stone patio and through my bare legs, but I'm barely registering any of the childish antics my peers are involving themselves in inside my house. I'm far too interested in whether Mackenzie prefers hot or cold holidays, where she's travelled and who with. This girl has me hanging onto her every word so much that I couldn't care less about what everyone else is doing.

Neither of us are really drunk, spending a lot of time together outside without drinks has definitely sobered us up. We shared the whiskey Mackenzie had stolen from her brother and smuggled into the dance via a small silver hip flask, but we were far too busy dancing and spending time with each other to have any of the spiked punch or sneak out to drink the booze Peter Morrison hid behind the bleachers after football practice on Thursday.

I was far more interested in the fact I was getting away with putting my hands all over Mackenzie as we danced, and nobody thought anything about it because they believed we came as friends, and April and Faye danced in a pair at the same time as us to draw attention away from my wandering hands. Nobody really paid attention though, not that anyone was really interested. As far as onlookers were concerned, two girls with masks on were getting handsy. The lighting in the gym was dim so you wouldn't even really tell it was us unless you knew what we were wearing. It was pretty difficult to make out April, and she has bright red hair, the poor lighting making her hair look brown. I almost considered kissing Mackenzie, what with her looking so irresistable and dancing on me the way she was, but my fear wouldn't let me.

Thinking about it, I know I was scared about telling my friends how I felt about girls, but the way they helped Mackenzie and I have a somewhat normal dance together, I couldn't be more grateful to the pair of them.

Mackenzie taps her chin thoughtfully, her face pulling into a smile as she recites a memory to me. "France. My parents took me and my brother skiing when we were younger, I was maybe eleven? It was the most fun I've ever had when on holiday."

"I've always wanted to go skiing again. I used to love the family holidays we went on. I haven't had chance since I was like twelve as my dad got his promotion in the hospital and that took all his free time away." I reply, watching as her face lights up in what I interpret as her having an idea. "What?"

"Well, what if we both put our names down to go on the ski trip after Christmas, instead of the beach trip? It would be just the two of us out of our friends, so we'd definitely get some alone time, and I get to teach you how to ski."

I ponder her suggestion and decide it's a good one. Any time I get to spend with Mackenzie, especially at the moment as its so few and far between, is a blessing. The thought of a whole week with her sounds amazing, and I know we'll get our chance at a beach holiday with soccer when we go to states this year.

I don't know how to explain it, but planning for something as simple as a holiday in a few months time, excites me. I think it's because it shows me that Mackenzie actually wants this between us to go somewhere, just like I do. It makes me feel a lot safer in this dance we have going on, because it's confirmation she wants me just as much as I want her.

I just need to swallow my fear and take the step forward I desperately want to make. She isn't forcing me or pressuring me in any way, and that only wants me to take that leap of faith so much more.

"Sounds like a great idea." I mumble with a grin on my face, inching towards her to place a quick kiss on her lips. I pull back before she can deepen it, much to her frustration, and I send her a teasing smile as I watch her eyebrows pull together in annoyance. Her grey eyes are boring into my own, the shade darkening the longer she looks at me. I can't help but press my lips on hers briefly once again. Kissing her is addicting, and I'm glad we're alone out here so that I can kiss her as much as I want to. "We should probably go inside now we've hid away long enough."