[44]

It was only a matter of time before Mackenzie and I snuck away.

We stuck around for the first bar, Mackenzie teasing me incessantly when April and Will weren't looking. Her fingers were scraping up the inside of my thigh, her tongue taking my earlobe into her mouth whenever she whispered in my ear. I don't know how we managed to keep this away from April, but she was so wrapped up in my brother's attention that it gave us a little breathing room.

She was always finding an excuse to touch me and it was driving me insane. I tried to remain unbothered, ignoring the overwhelming desire to bite my lips or stifle a moan, purely to wind my handsy girlfriend up.

I could barely hold myself together by the time we left the first bar, and Mackenzie knew it. The smug smile she had on her face was obvious as we walked hand in hand towards our next destination. I could tell by the look in her eye she was planning to continue the physical and mental teasing. But two can definitely play that game, and I played my part well.

Mackenzie wore a dress tonight, which worked wonders for my attempts at teasing her the way she did me.

So when we got to the second bar, with Will and April taking themselves off to dance almost immediately after we found a booth, they left the two of us alone to watch the drinks. Mackenzie was looking at me with her dark eyes, never breaking eye contact with me as she teasingly played with her straw before taking a sip, puckering her lips more than necessary.

Alcohol was well and truly in both of our systems. I was tipsy before but now I was borderline drunk, though every time Mackenzie touched me, I immediately sobered up.

My hand made its way under her skirt, and her attempts to wind me up faltered, and despite the volume of the music pumping around the room, I heard her breath catch in her throat.

Now, normally I would turn my nose up at people acting like this in bars and nightclubs – it comes across as rather tasteless. But we were hidden away at the back of the bar, nobody was paying us any attention, and I was not doing anything more than reminding her of what's waiting for her when she finally caved and dragged me away.

Mackenzie makes me want to take risks, push myself out of my comfort zones I have so happily sat in before. She drives me insane in all the right ways, and when she acts like this, all of my inhibitions go flying out of the window.

I never craved Clay the way I do her. All I want to do is touch her, hold her, be with her. My thoughts are always of her. I don't know how I've been able to concentrate at school, or on the soccer pitch. I'm always watching her, anticipating that smile she saves only for me.

I was enjoying the power of the situation, of my nails dragging up her thigh and settling high enough that my thumb felt the outline of her underwear.

The second that April and my brother returned to the table, Mackenzie downed her drink and dragged me out of the booth, muttering that we were going to dance. Will thought nothing of it, nodding and asking me if I could grab him a drink on my way back.

April knew otherwise. I could tell by the slight raise of her eyebrow and the ever-so-minute quirk of her lips as she made eye contact with me.

She knew, and I was definitely going to hear about it tomorrow.

We walked through the dance floor, weaving through other people dancing, my hand held tightly by Mackenzie's.

We walked past the toilets, and Mackenzie pushed open a door that led us into a storage cupboard, piled with boxes of alcohol and cleaning equipment. I didn't have much time to admire the decor before my back was against the closed door.