Chapter 16

Suspect #9.

The Valet.

The next suspect was lounging on a stool in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel. He is a valet and one of the only ones who knows celebrities and pop culture. I used to love hanging out with him on my lunch breaks, but hadn't talked to him for a few months. Word among the staff was he took off after news of my death. 

"Reggie, man, how was the trip?"

Reggie forces a smile and nods.

"Alright man. It was alright."

"The detectives come to see you yet? They are going around to all the staff who knew Leilani."

He scoffs, "Not yet. And why would they? I haven't really talked to her in forever."

He wasn't lying. The last time we really talked beyond saying 'hi' was many months ago. We had a falling out of sorts after I found out he was gay. Not by my hand though, but by his. I never found out why he stopped asking me lunch. I assumed he was embarrassed. Only because he used to have me pick up girls for him. Little did he know but I had no issues with anyone being gay. 

By now I figure he has told everyone so there was no need to shy away. The staff at the hotel are all a good bunch when it comes to diversity, we employ all types and even abilities. In the kitchen they have two guys who have down syndrome and in the front desk one of the staff is a brilliant woman with autism. They all fit in quite nicely. 

Reggie takes out his phone and begins to scroll. I float behind him to check out what he is looking at so intently. An old news story is on the screen and I am in it. It was from a surfing competition years ago, and I had been interviewed.  My long sun kissed hair was sleek and I had a deep tan. He appears to be staring at me, not reading the story. 

As confused as I am, I feel like Reggie is hiding something. I just had no earthly idea what.

"Hey Reg, you are needed in the bosses office."

Reggie gets up and begins to walk downstairs to the basement area. His boss is the manager of the guest parking. I never had to interact with him though as it's not considered a head position like other managers in the hotel. Valet got the proverbial shaft if you ask me.

"Reggie. Detectives from HPD are coming down to interview you. Do you want me to be here in the office for it or do you want to go it alone?"

His manager was a nice guy. I like how he asks him if he needs backup. Being there for your employees is an overlooked quality. 

"No, I'm good. I have nothing to hide."

His words are nice but his face says otherwise. Maybe we'd find out something new. Or maybe he would be cleared. I was here for either outcome. 

🩸

"Tell us how you knew Leilani."

Detectives Keele and Jones were back at it, day 7 after my death. They were sitting poised as they always were in interviews, casually asking questions. Reggie was a trapped bird in a cage. 

"Well from here, obviously. I met her at work."

Detective Jones scoffs.

"We knew that part, but how well did you know her? Was she a friend?"

"Of course she was. You guys are tripping, I know you know how I knew her! You are detectives!"

Detective Keele's eyebrow shot up and he does something he usually never did. He smiles, ever so slightly. Then he takes the lead on the interview.