Chapter 25

Stock in Patagonia. 

That was one thing I wish I'd invested in while still alive.  The Jones's were flush with Patagonia gear. It was covering almost all surfaces of their house, as well as Marmott and Arc'teryx. They were serious about hiking. If you are scoffing at this, thinking what hiking could Hawaii have, we do have some decent slopes. Nothing like the mainland's mountain ranges but enough to make a business out of it. 

"Koko crater trail is pretty grueling for hiking newbies. Otherwise called Koko head, as you know. That is where we were guiding the morning that the girl was killed." Mr. Jones says.

"Yeah and that's why we were up so god awful early. The group is from Sweden, and they wanted to be up there with headlamps on. Technically the trail wasn't open yet, but we can get away with it." Mrs. Jones expounds.

They are sitting causally on their large sectional sofa, wearing gym clothing. Both look to be in excellent shape and have almost no body fat on either of their frames. 

"Interesting. You both guide for tourists mostly?" Detective Jones asks. 

"Mostly. Locals all know where to go....but we do lead a few elderly groups on the island. We also fly once or twice a week to Hilo to lead groups up Mauna Loa."

Interesting work, especially for Hawaii. And this wasn't their main gig. They ran an online shop and blog with big name sponsorship. They really were the epitome of a person never working a day in their lives, having found something they love. 

"That poor girl. We just can't believe she was murdered. And here of all places! This is a really safe building, and safe area. Do you guys have any leads?" Mrs. Jones asks. 

"We do. Quite a few actually. But we need more evidence. Cases are hard to prosecute if you lack, and we need your help. Both of your help."

The couple exchanged a glance before both looking back at the detectives. 

"What can we help with?" 

"The morning of the murder, you both were up and out in the hallway around 3:45 am. You told patrolmen that you saw someone going into the roof top elevator. Can you identify the person if I show you some pictures?" Detective Jones asks. 

"Sure....we can try our best."

He pulls out his phone and opens a picture of Lila. The couple glance at it and both shake their heads 'no'. He swipes to a picture of Rachel and they glance then repeat the 'no'. 

"Are you sure?" Detective Keele asks, clearly baffled. 

"Yes. That wasn't her. I am sure of it." Mrs. Jones says and Mr. Jones agrees.

Detective Jones swipes to the next person, a picture of Kima, the hotel Housekeeping Director. 

"That looks like her." The couple exclaim. 

"Her? Are you sure?" 

The detectives were clearly dumbstruck by this news. I was dumbstruck by the news. 

"Was she alone? Did you notice anything weird in her demeanor or was she carrying anything?"

Mrs. Jones appears to be thinking as she has her eyes closed. Then they snap open and she grins. 

"I did see her carrying something. Looked to be a small box, brown. Like a regular package you'd get in the mail."

🩸

Now I find myself on the roof of the building. 

My very last moments alive were here....

Can ghosts or spirits feel their own mortality? Yes, yes we can. I feel uneasy, as if time itself was askew. Time you see, means nothing once you die. It feels like a blink of an eye since I realized I was looking down at my body, laying on the pavement below.