Chapter 27

Suspect #15.

The Acai Bowl Owner.

Acai is a fruit that grows on a specific type of palm tree. They look like tiny grapes or larger blueberries and taste earthy or bitter if eaten raw. When ground up and sugar added, they can make what is known as an acai bowl. I  used to love eating those for a pick me up as a breakfast meal or after surfing for a fruity treat. 

Mia owns Zen Acai Bowl in downtown Honolulu. She is as much like her store as the store is like her. Both are sleek, a bit hippy and a lot into the healthiest versions of food. Her bowls are super popular with tourists watching their waistline and locals alike. I mainly ate there because she was one of the closest friends I had, next to Rachel, my neighbor. 

It was fitting that she be the last suspect. And equally as sad to me that she be a suspect at all. I wonder what shocking things I was about to find out. 

"Thanks for coming in! We are open tomorrow morning at 5, same as today" Mia says, smiling her megawatt smile at a customer. 

She was the lowest on the priority list for being a murder suspect. I still have no clue as to why. She and I had a good friendship but it wasn't always that way. She is a lesbian and at one point, a few months back, she tried to kiss me. I was able to turn her down and I thought it was over with, but now I'm second guessing this. 

Once the customers leave, Mia begins to text someone on her phone. I get closer to see who. There isn't a name at the top, only a phone number. That's super odd. 

Did you get interviewed about the green?

Someone was typing back, I could see the tiny dots on the screen. 

Not about that. No. 

She seemed ok with this response so she typed more. 

About her though? 

Yes. Don't worry. They don't know.

Who was she texting? By interviewed I take it to mean by the detectives. And that means she is hiding something. Is the 'green' a code for drugs? Possibly the marijuana? I'm connecting some dots, but still unsure if the detectives will be able to without looking at the phone as I have. 

We will be in touch. 

She types the reply then puts her phone down. Her screensaver flashes at the action and I see a picture of her and I. It jars me. She had never used our picture on her phone before. Had she felt guilty after my death? Or was she simply missing me? 

Not missing a beat, she begins to grind up acai fruit in a blender, as more customers come in. They look ready to explore Oahu, sunscreen on their pale faces not quite blended in all the way. It makes me smile. I miss seeing tourists marvel at the islands beauty. It really is unlike any other place on earth. 

Then I see two more people come in. 

The detectives. 

🩸

It's pretty early but the detectives wanted to see if they could catch Mia before she got too busy. I knew they were coming in today, I just didn't know when. Detective Jones whispers to detective Keele and he nods. They both try their best to appear casual, though their clothing screams otherwise. It's all for naught too. Mia notices them. 

"Can I help you officers with anything? Or you just coming to get an acai bowl?" She asks as they approach the counter. 

Detective Jones flashes his badge and gives Mia a handsome grin. She smiles in return but I notice her hands clenching harder on her till than needed.