Chapter 30

Kima was a mastermind. She had successfully orchestrated two criminal operations, all hidden from public view. Her confession was unbelievable at first, but then it made sense. The suspects seemed to genuinely fit in the roles she had placed them in. Dots were connecting. But, those involved needed to fess up. 

"You'll get immunity for the stolen goods from the hotel, but not for the drug charges." Detective Keele says. 

"But that's an automatic felony! And the sentencing will at least be 10 years!" Kima exclaims. 

"It is. But it's a good deal. You'll probably only get 10 and then time served while awaiting trial...maybe early parole for good behavior. It's up to you." 

"I'll give you one more bit of evidence, and it's a smoking gun...but only if you talk to the prosecutor and get a lower sentence. I can't do 10 years." 

Detective Keele grunts, contemplating what he could and couldn't promise. 

"I'll talk to the prosecutors office. No guarantees, but I have sway. What else do you have?" He says. 

"I have a recording on my phone, Lila admitting that she wanted to off Leilani."

🩸

The married power couple of the Hawaiian Hilton Village has fallen. Detective Keele got Kima's husband Ron to admit to his part in the stolen goods ring. But he had no clue about the drugs. None whatsoever. Kima had an ex convict cousin that she got the drugs from and had roped in Lila and Reggie from valet to help her. Reggie then got Mark involved, the boyfriend of Rachel, the next door neighbor. They subsequently had Ian, the condo doorman, help them hide the drugs at my building. Thinking no one would suspect the location. 

Only someone had. And that someone was another detective. He was working with the Feds, and happened to get a CI involved, or confidential informant. Can you guess who? 

"Fucking knew that guy was hiding something. Can you believe we almost missed it? The connection?" Detective Keele laments. "I feel off my game.." 

Detective Jones sighs. 

"Boss, you're still on it...hell, I've never once seen you slip. The amount of suspects here was beyond anything we've had before." 

"Maybe so, but the signs were there. Kalu wasn't a murderer. He was a fucking CI! I'll never live this down." 

A delivery guy pops his head around the office door. 

"Is a detective Jones in here? Uber Eats order for you."

Detective Jones smiles and gathers the food order, handing the driver a large bill for a tip. He takes the bags from Teddy's Bigger Burgers and plops it on his desk. 

Detective Keele arches an eyebrow. 

"What? We needed a pick me up. And I'm starving." Detective Jones says, smiling. "The past 13 days have been crazy boss, you gotta admit." 

It has been 13 days since my death. Feels much shorter and also much longer. Time has no real concept once you die. It just doesn't pass anymore. Your clock is broken. 

The detectives have eliminated three more suspects, leaving only a few to check alibis on. As they begin to eat their burgers, detective Keele stands by the whiteboard. 

"Marcus. The lawyer. He is on surveillance for being outside of Leilani's condo about an hour before Kima arrived. The feed never picks up whether he met anyone or not though. What was he doing there? Did he plan to kill our victim?" 

The office phone rings. Detective Jones picks it up. 

"Homicide." 

He grunts and nods then hangs up.