Chapter 57: True Heroes

3rd Person POV:

New York City

October 31st:

Halloween, not the busiest day at the shopping centers of the big city but certainly not the quietest. Crowds raced back and forth, darting into various stores, buying everything from clothes and costumes to food, candy and electronics.

Cash continuously changed hands as customers rushed from shop to shop.

One mother was browsing winter coats for her two children. They've started growing like weeds in the past years, needing new clothes each school year.

The mother finally found a size that would fit her youngest daughter and quickly placed it in the shopping cart.

As she navigated the aisles of clothes she lightly coughed into her elbow before going back to her shopping.

As she continued to browse the endless rows of clothes she was unaware of the tiny red vein that appeared on her face, spidering out from her lower lip.

————————————————————————

*Happy Harbour*

(Y/n): "I still don't like the idea of taking you into combat."

Sutton: "You're taking the dog."

(Y/n): "The dog has a name and he wasn't on life support a month ago."

Ann: "We weren't on life support, we were under strict observation."

(Y/n): "If I gave that excuse to Zatanna, she'd slap me."

The agents were currently strapping on their gear in M'gann and Conner's garage while Titan sat and watched them. The German Shepherd had his combat vest on and was wagging his tail while watching the agents.

Dick, Artemis and Conner walked into the garage as the agents were checking their ammunition and explosives.

Artemis smiled and crossed her arms while giving (Y/n) a strange look.

Artemis: "You're dressed for the wrong mission. We're going undercover first."

(Y/n) simply smiled back while stuffing magazines into his vest.

(Y/n): "No, we're not."

*Flashback*

(Y/n) and Titan were getting ready to leave (Y/n)'s apartment and head to meet up with Kelso on her way to Kandel's home.

Just as he was about to head out, his phone rang. The agent quickly answered it after seeing it was Dick.

(Y/n): "Vanguard."

Dick: "Hey, you busy? I need your help for a mission. We located Princess Tara."

The agent smiled before leaning against his front door.

(Y/n): "You know she's working with the Light, right? She's bait, a mole they're trying to plant in your team."

Dick: "Yeah... how did you figure that out?"

(Y/n): "Were you planning on telling me? Or was the plan to bring her in and let her hang around Mary and Traci? Because I won't let that happen."

Dick: "Y-yeah I was planning on telling you, but how'd you figure it out?"

(Y/n): "Kelso was running some surveillance ops in the past couple weeks. She observed Tara working with the Shadows, the way she was fighting and the moves she pulled off. It was over her own free will, they were far too advanced to be done under the control of an inhibitor chip or collar."