Chapter 69: Terminus

3rd Person POV:

Gray clouds covered the sky over Gotham city. A strange quiet had overtaken the once crime ridden city with everything grinding to a halt in the wake of the Black Tusk attack.

Though the coup was short lived, its effects were devastating. Missiles had slammed into several cities including Gotham, killing just over 500 people in a massive blast.

JTF losses were way higher and still unknown. Between the Black Tusk hidden within the task force and casualties taken during the battle, the JTF lost around 85% of its personnel.

The Division was shattered. Agents were scattered across the country and had sabotaged their bases as they fled so they wouldn't fall into Black Tusk hands. The survivors scrambled into hiding with no way of communicating with any other agents.

The Justice League was able to swiftly disarm the Black Tusk and allowed what remained of the military to arrest them.

The surviving members of congress quickly appointed a new administration and they regained control of the military with help from Kelso and a few other high ranking agents.

Blake's mangled corpse was brought to Gotham General hospital. The League carefully examined the body with the Atom leading the autopsy team. Despite everyone's best efforts, they couldn't get (Y/n) to leave the observation room. The agent watched everything like a hawk and wouldn't let any samples of blood be taken away for study.

Batman, Kaldur, Tigress, Oracle, Zatanna and (Y/n) were standing in the observation room above the autopsy room. The group stayed mostly silent, waiting for the Atom's report.

Eventually the report came in, the tired voice cracking over the observation room's speaker.

Atom: "Yeah, he died of a heart attack alright. I'm not exactly sure what's in the cocktail of drugs they gave him, but it definitely caused his death. These bullets barely pierced his skin and he had no broken bones."

The room stayed silent. As the heroes were wrapped up in their thoughts about the drug, (Y/n) gently grabbed Zatanna's hand and rubbed his thumb across the top of her hand.

Zatanna let out a sigh of relief. She desperately wanted to help (Y/n) during his fight with Blake and was forced to use his rifle after having her neck injured to the point where she couldn't speak.

Atom: "We will have to take samples of his blood for further study."

(Y/n): "No. Everything about that drug should be destroyed. Every Reach corpse and every trace of research ever done."

Atom: "You're going to have to get over your past with the Guest House and the Reach blood. If it has the potential to save lives, we need to study it."

Images of the Guest House flashed through (Y/n)'s head. His own voice, begging to die, cried out in his head. He saw the blinding surgical light and the reflection of the large surgical machine performing open brain surgery on him as clear as day.

He felt his body start to lightly shake and was only pulled out of his flashbacks by Zatanna gently squeezing his hand. That second (Y/n) snapped back to reality and continued the conversation without skipping a beat.

(Y/n): "No. I won't let anyone else go through what I did. That drug isn't meant to be used by us. There are too many side effects. If they didn't wipe my mind, I would've gone insane. The pain I suffered was ungodly and I'll die before I let you experiment with that drug."

Batman: "I agree. The risks are too great, it needs to be destroyed."

(Y/n): "Make sure Blake's body is properly disposed of. I don't want any trace of it left."