Part 98 (Hardin)

The next morning I wake up and reach for Tessa. Then I remember she's hours away from me. I immediately reach for my phone to call her, but she doesn't answer. I assume she's sleeping in after having to babysit that rugrat all night.

I reluctantly shower and get ready for the conference my boss wants me to go to. I still don't understand why I have to do this shit. He knows I'm not good with people. I check my phone one last time for any texts or calls from Tessa before I put it on silent and tuck it into my pocket.

I head downstairs to the hotel conference room that all my meetings for the day are being held in. When I walk into the room, I notice everyone is dressed like a tool. I know I'll probably catch hell from my boss for wearing skinny jeans and a leather jacket, but I'm missing my two month anniversary with Tessa for this, so he can fuck off.

I spend the morning talking to one boring douchebag after another.

I'm ready to jump out the window when I notice it's finally lunchtime. I rush out of there and head up to my room. I'm not in the mood to eat lunch with a bunch of stuffed shirts.

As soon as I get to my room, I try to call Tessa. I still can't reach her and I'm beginning to get a little worried. This isn't like her, especially when it comes to me. She knows how protective I can be, so she wouldn't let me worry if she had a choice. I decide to leave a message, but I try not to be too intense. "Hey, Tess, I've been trying to call you all morning and I'm really beginning to worry. Could you please call me back? I love you."

I spend the rest of my lunch picking at the food I ordered from room service. I just don't have an appetite right now.

I head back to the conference room for the rest of my meetings and try to keep my mind from worrying about Tessa.

When the work day is over, I rush back to my room and call Tessa again. When the voicemail picks up again I almost lose it. "Theresa, pick up the damn phone! I'm really fucking worried right now. Call me! Please."

I'm so desperate to find out if Tessa is okay right now, but I'm stuck in Seattle. She could need help right now and there's no way I'd be able to reach her in time. I decide to call Emma for help.

"Hello?" Emma answers.

"Emma, it's Hardin..."

"Hardin? Oh my God, what's wrong?"

"What?"

"The last time you called me was because of what happened with Neil. Is Tessa okay?"

"I don't know. That's why I'm calling. Right now I'm on a business trip in Seattle and I haven't been able to get ahold of Tessa all day. Do you think you could go check on her? Please?" I desperately beg.

"I wish I could, but I'm out of town visiting my parents. Why are you so worried? Maybe her phone just died."

"There's no way. Tessa is always so prepared."

"You're right. Now I'm worried. Should I drive back to see if she's okay?"

"No... I'll try to call a few other people first."

"Okay. Let me know when you hear something."

"I will," I say and hang up.

I try to call Steph, but she doesn't answer. She's probably at a frat party and can't hear her fucking phone.

Next I call Kimberly at the book store.

"Hello, you've reached-"

"Kimberly?"

"Yes, that's me!"

"It's Hardin, Tessa's boyfriend. Have you heard from her today? Is she at work?"

"Sorry, I haven't and she's not scheduled to work this weekend. The last time I spoke to her was last night when I was picking up Smith."

"That's what I was afraid of," I sigh.

"Is something wrong?"

"I don't know... If you hear from her, please have her call me."

"Of course!"

I hang up the phone and start to pace around the room as I run my fingers through my hair. I have no choice. I have to drive home. If I get fired, I don't give a fuck. Tessa is the most important thing in my life. I pack up my shit and leave my room.

When I get downstairs, I leave a message for my boss at the front desk, then bolt towards my car. I toss my bags in the trunk, rush out of the parking lot and drive home to my Tessa.

On the long drive home I continue to try to get ahold of her, but every attempt is unsuccessful. The whole drive home I worry that something truly terrible has happened to her.

 The whole drive home I worry that something truly terrible has happened to her