Chapter Five: Fluffy Pink Scarf

Rose carried assorted gourds in her arms from her loft to the café downstairs. Kai and Holly were right behind her also carrying assorted gourds. They were for décor, and so Rose instructed Kai and Holly to decorate to their liking.

"Can we draw on them?" Holly asked while she put down the pale pumpkins on one of the tables.

"I bet we can make this place scattered with spooky gourds." Kai added, liking the idea. "This one is perfect for a Pennywise pumpkin." He said while picking up a white pumpkin.

Rose loved the idea.

"You guys do that, I'll set up other decors on the windows."

Holly pulled out multiple sharpies from her apron, laid them on the table and sat down to start on a pumpkin. Kai joined her and together they drew in silence. But then Kai started humming Monster Mash, which made Holly shake her head at him in amusement.

Rose grabbed a box full of décor and started slapping on adhesive ghost molds on the windows. She smiled, loving the idea that Halloween is around the corner. Mainly because it's her second most favourite holiday. Christmas being the first.

It was October first, and today was also the day when Rose became sober six years ago.

Her mentor was supposed to come around lunch to visit. A celebratory visit to remind her that she was no longer the woman limping around the streets asking for change just to get her next fix. Or the woman who lost all of her friends because all she knew was to push them away.

It was also a reminder that she wasn't the reckless older sister who broke her promise to stay sober while driving her younger brother to his graduation.

This day was a reminder that she lost everyone who is important to her, and everything that she worked for because she was an addict.

But most importantly, Rose was smiling because she overcame this hardship in her life that could've ruined her forever. But it was a sad smile. She wished that it didn't had to go through the way it did. She wished that her parents could still look at her in the eye and find it in their hearts to forgive her for all that she'd done.

She wished that her brother Josh was still around.

"Check it out! It's a Jason pumpkin!" Kai exclaimed. He lifted his pumpkin with a hockey mask drawn and a machete on the side. The drawing was clumsy but that's what makes it great. Rose chuckled at him while Holly held up a perfect black and white Jack Skellington pumpkin to show.

"Guys that looks amazing!" Rose gave them a thumbs-up like a proud mom. She was all set with the décor, and Holly and Kai displayed their pumpkins on top of the glass pastry case.

"I've got an idea." Kai said and grabbed the two tip jars. He placed one by Jason the pumpkin and Jack the pumpkin. "People will tip their preferred pumpkins. Ooh, this just got real."

"I'm so winning this." Holly said, grinning.

"We shall see." Kai said and rubbed his pumpkin like a wishing lamp. Holly stared at him in amusement before letting out a light laugh.

Rose let her baristas have their fun and went to the front door to tug the neon-light open sign on. It's been a few days since she last saw Harlow, and Rose wondered how she's been doing.

"Do you guys know anyone who might be interested in being a barista?" Asked Rose, while she sat by one of the booth with her laptop open.

"Full-time?" Asked Kai, and Rose nodded.

"I have a few friends that might." Said Holly. "I can ask them if you'd like."

"That would be nice, thanks." Rose said.