-Chapter VIII-

Evelyn couldn't stop her eyes from glancing behind her where Newt was practically being dragged along by Thomas and Minho, the boys condition getting worse with every step they made.

     She was forced to look away as an explosion sounded to her right, the brightness of flames erupted high in the sky and and with it, rubble from the building it hit. They all jumped at the noise and the feeling of the ground shaking slightly beneath them.

     "He was supposed to take down Wicked, not the whole damn city." Gally stared into the flame like a fly attracted to light as sirens sounded around them.

     "Gally, come on." Thomas patted his shoulder and adjusted Newts arm atop his own with a small groan.

     Evelyn waited for him to move and followed behind him as he led the way to the tunnels with his gun firmly in hand and posture slouched a few inches to stay down and somewhat out of sight. "Tunnels are up ahead. Stay low, stay low!" He urged once spotting a few Wicked vehicles only a mere few yards away.

     "Shit." Evelyn mumbled after peaking around the corner of the three foot high wall acting as their only cover from the guards who were approaching and yelling incoherent things to one another.

     It was seconds past the time they though the guards would fire having ducked down and shied away from the shots but nothing sounded so Minho addressed it. "What are they waiting for?"

     Evelyns dark eyes went round and a light crossed them from the reflection of the flame that had just been thrown against another building, a multitude of people running after it and towards the guards stationed close by, their guns setting off once they were in sight.

     "Stay down, down!" Thomas instructed having pulled Evelyn away from the outside of their line and sandwiched her in between himself and Newt. If anyone was going to get shot it was gonna be him and he made sure of that having wrapped his arms tightly around her and using himself as a shield.

     "We gotta go!" Gally yelled above the screams of pain from gunshot wounds and shakes from the ground from explosions.

     "Everyone okay?" Evelyn asked trying her best to look everybody over though they were running to another spot for safety before she ducked a moment from flame lighting up nearby.

     She didn't receive an answer but everyone was still running, Thomas and Minho still helping Newt and Gally seeming okay himself so she figured she was good to actually focus on the task at hand. That being to literally survive.

     Gally led them into a building already halfway destroyed from the rage of Lawrence's people, everyone having to again duck as the ground shook and fire lit the entirety of the area only twenty feet away.

     "Brenda? Brenda you there?" Thomas grabbed the walkie from his pocket and held it against his lips frantically pressing the button as he spoke. "Brenda?"

    Evelyn took her long sleeve top off leaving her in a tank top, the heat surrounding them being way too much and made it a lot harder to run from app the sweat.

     "I'm here." It only took a couple tries, but Brenda picked up, the smallest bits of relief being plucked off the girls shoulders but the overwhelming majority of her worry came from Newts worsening state.

     "We're not gonna make it." He said ducking down again, glass shattering above them.

     "What are you talking about?" Brenda asked after a moment, the boy could imagine her face.

     "Just take the others. Get everybody out while you still can." He instructed.

     Evelyn shook the small shards of glass from of her hair and brushed the small pile that formed on her lap, a stinging on her cheek led her hand up to her face causing her to wince once coming in contact with a shard lodged into her right cheek. She yanked it out, a hiss escaping her lips but she only wiped the blood before checking over everyone else.