Chapter 6

Early next morning, I woke up from a dreamless sleep and jumped out of bed to get ready for work. I heard Ian chatting on the phone in his room as I ran across the corridor to the bathroom to take a quick shower.

"I'm not saying it's your fault." Ian screeched and I heard him sniffle loudly, "I just need some time to think about it all."

I stood in the doorway, listening to my best friend argue intensely. A short moment after, he continued screaming at someone on the other end of the line, "It's not you, it's me." Another silent pause before Ian blurted a quick "I'll see you next week then," and stormed out of his room and down the stairs.

It was barely seven in the morning and I started to wonder who could have pissed him off so much this early in the day. After a quick scrub in the shower, I hurried to get dressed and grabbing my cell from the nightstand, I ran downstairs to find Ian sitting quietly in the kitchen.

"Good morning." I smiled, pretending I didn't hear his conversation.

Brewing my vital mug of strong black coffee, I stood leaning to a kitchen counter, waiting for the kettle to boil when Ian stood up and walked out the kitchen, deliberately looking away from me without greeting me back.

"Ian, what's the matter?" I ran after him.

"I don't want to talk about it." He said quietly and walked up the stairs.

I followed him to his room and stood in the doorway, watching him getting dressed for the day. He pulled a black V-neck t-shirt over his head and slipped into a pair of skinny blue jeans. His lanky frame wouldn't cast a shadow in the sun, seeing how bony he was.

"I'm not moving until you tell me what happened." I protested as soon as he daunted me with a short gape.

Crossing the hands across my chest, I leaned back to the wall. I knew he needed me there in to vent, but knowing Ian, he'll kick and twist before he can finally let go some of his steam.

"I can't do it any more with Callum." Ian finally exhaled and sat on his bed, rubbing his tired eyes. "I haven't had any sleep in days, it's just... Too much."

I went to sit next to him and wrapped my arm around his bony shoulder. "What in the God's name happened?"

"He wants an open relationship. And I can't do it, Sam." He looked up at me frightened. "I mean, I love him to pieces but that man doesn't know what he wants at the end of the day." A tear slid down his scruffy cheek.

"Did you tell him that?" I asked and wiped his cheek with the back of my hand.

"Million, billion times. He doesn't want to hear me."

"Do you want to know what I think?" I tried to calm him down, however, unsuccessfully at a first glance. "I think you should take a break, give each other some space. Perhaps then he'll realise this open relationship malarkey isn't ideal for a healthy relationship."