Kunti hears both sides

It took a long time and a lot of effort from his mother and brothers for Arjun to pull himself back together.

Every time someone told him, "Calm down--"

"I am the one who has to fight him," he kept sobbing. "He said he wouldn't hurt any of you--you don't have to fight him at all. But I cannot escape it, not by any means."

"We cannot fight in a side opposite our eldest brother," said Yudhishthir definitively, once Arjun had stopped howling and had settled his head on their mother's lap. "Either he switches sides--or he does not fight--or we forfeit."

"Forfeit?" demanded Bheem and Nakul in unison.

"Yes. Duryodhan can fight the war without Karna, but the war cannot be fought without the five of us."

"Duryodhan can't fight without Karna," put in Bheem, sending Arjun a deliberately glowing look. 

Arjun raised a tearful eyebrow.

"He doesn't have anyone in his side who even comes close to Arjun in skill," said Bheem. "Take Karna away, and he is nothing. Nothing."

"And Karna is very loyal to him, unfortunately," said Kunti.

"He's an idiot. He can't even see Duryodhan is using him. He's been letting himself get used for decades," said Sahadev in disgust.

"That's enough," said Yudhishthir. "Ma, do you think there is a chance to convince him to switch sides?"

"No," said Kunti flatly. "I tried."

"Or not to take part in the war?" 

"No," said Kunti again.

"Then," said Yudhishthir heavily, "the only option left is for us to back out."

"We are not going to forfeit!" said Bheem furiously. "They have our rightful kingdom. And they insulted Draupadi. We promised her we would take revenge."

"We cannot fight our kin."

"We do not even know he is our kin! Why can't we just forget--"

"We cannot forget." Yudhishthir frowned at Bheem. "You don't have to fight him, Bheem, so maybe you don't understand. Arjun--"

"No, brother," said Arjun, sitting up. "We are not going to give up. Giving up is not dharma, it is cowardice. The King of Anga," he said, eyes glowing, "is a hateful person, a puppet of the most unrighteous person that ever existed. He called our wife a prostitute and called for her to be disrobed. To not avenge that would be the coward's way."

"He is not a hateful person, son," interjected Kunti.

"You were not there in the sabha, Ma."

"Even so," said Kunti. "I know him better than you do. Maybe you could try talking to him, Arjun--"

"Talk to him? Talk to him, like we are the ones who want him on our side, Ma?" said Arjun fiercely. "Why would I ever want to talk to him?"

Kunti bestowed upon him her sternest look.

"Because you cannot face the idea of fighting him any more than he can face the idea of fighting you."

Arjun blinked rapidly. Then he drew himself up.

"I am a warrior," he said. "And so is the King of Anga. We can deal with it, and you have to learn to deal with it, Ma."

Kunti saw determination battling the shadow of doubt in her son's countenance.

"But we must try to negotiate, at the very least," said Yudhishthir. "Ma? Can you try once more, please?"

****************