Epilogue

1 year later...

It was a big day at the royal palace of Indraprastha. The first of the third generation Pandava had been born to Uttara and Abhimanyu three months ago and today was to be his naming ceremony.

Abhimanyu was at his mature best. He seemed determined to disprove Subhadra and Draupadi's concerns that they had rushed into parenthood too soon. They were mostly worried about his maturity; Uttara was mature for her age anyway, but for someone who had grown up with Krishna and Bheem as uncles, it was not Abhimanyu's fault he had never truly grown up.

Abhimanyu dealt with Bheem, Nakul, Sahadev and Krishna's incessant teasing about Arjun being a grandfather with dignity.

"It is a matter of great pride for a person to be young enough to be able to teach his grandson archery," he said gravely. "It is not at all a laughing matter."

Next, he went to deal with his half-brothers Sutsoma and Shrutakarma who were bickering about something as usual, which he would normally have taken part in.

"Act your age," he admonished.

"That's right, son, you tell them," said Krishna, grinning, as were everyone else.

Drumbeats announced the arrival of the guests from from Hastinapur.

Abhimanyu abandoned his act; he leapt to his feet and had disappeared at the speed of light even before Draupadi could sigh and say, "There he goes."

***************

The Pandava brothers and Krishna, Draupadi and Subhadra followed; they met Abhimanyu halfway to the palace gates, dragging Karna by the arm, discoursing at the top of his voice the names they had shortlisted for the child, who had suggested which, how each name had originated in their heads, what each meant, and which one did he think was the best?

"Oh, I cannot say that," said Karna. "What does Uttara say?"

"She is unopinionated. She said she does not wish to add to the trouble."

"Certainly a good stance for someone who lives with you, Abhi."

"What does that mean?" demanded Abhimanyu.

"What name does your father prefer?" Karna said hastily.

"Something no one else prefers--Parikshit."

"Well, it is not bad..."

"Precisely!" Arjun's loud voice broke in. He flew to wring Karna's arms, crying, "Jyesht, how are you?" He abandoned the vigorous handshake, shoved Abhimanyu aside and gave Karna an enormous hug. "What have you been doing?"

"Let me think, Parth," drawled Krishna. "When did you and Abhi last visit Hastinapur? Oh, must be nearly three days ago."

"I went a whole week ago," said Nakul peevishly. "Move over, jyesht Arjun."

Arjun stepped aside, but it could not be said he did it sportingly. 

Nakul hugged Karna with tragic eyes like they were meeting after ten years; Sahadev followed suit with even more tragic eyes. 

Yudhishthir gave Karna a smile of long-suffering as he, the King and most responsible of the hosts, went on to do the painful job of greeting Duryodhan and his brothers. Bheem made a face at Yudhishthir's back and put his arms around Sahadev and Karna so violently that they nearly overbalanced.

Karna still had trouble getting used to being treated with this kind of love and reverence from his younger brothers. 

He had not wanted to be King of Indraprastha, though Yudhishthir had tried to convince him for months. He would never abandon his best friend out of greed of a kingdom, and technically, he was not a Pandava, he reasoned, because he had been born before Kunti Maa married Pandu.