A lethal plan is hatched

Familiar footsteps shook Karna out of his stupour. 

"Greetings, brother," said Arjun, flinging himself down under their tree and leaning tiredly against it.

"You are late," said Karna coldly. "What is the reason you came?"

"Reason?" Arjun sounded bewildered.

"It ends today," said Karna, standing up. "It had to end anyway, now that I am part of the battle."

Arjun, who appeared bone-deep tired, looked up at Karna from his position at the foot of the tree, blinking, questions writ large over his face. Karna realized he had begun to label Arjun's mannerisms--he blinked rapidly when he was confused.

"This is not sport, Arjun. I am tired of you acting like a brother in nighttime and like the bitterest enemy in daytime. I cannot do this anymore."

Arjun stood up abruptly, too, eyes sparking fury.

"What exactly is it that you are claiming, big brother? That you have been afflicted by humanity and I am still harbouring vengeful hatred?"

Even spoken in that tone, 'big brother' was like a melody to Karna's ears, which made his confused indignation melt away.

"Is it not enough that I come here every day after sundown?" demanded Arjun. "Does it not tell you that I do not simply act a brother to you? Why would I bother with an act?"

"I did not say--"

"That is exactly what you did say!"

"I'm sorry for saying it like that--"

"But you did mean it. Now that you say it, I am tired," said Arjun fiercely, "of your firm belief that you are the only charitable and righteous person in the universe and you are the only person capable of emotions and the only one who has been cheated out by destiny. We have also been cheated out of a brother, you know!"

Karna snorted. "Cheated out of a brother? You already have four brothers."

"THAT DOESN'T MAKE UP FOR THE FIFTH!"

"All right, calm down--" Karna spoke in a hushed voice in an attempt to bring down Arjun's voice.

It didn't work.

"FAREWELL."

"Arjun--"

"LIKE YOU SAID, IT HAD TO END. SEE YOU IN THE BATTLEFIELD TOMORROW, BIG BROTHER."

It was the first and only time the world saw Arjun losing control completely. He stomped back to his camp, ears blowing steam. 

Karna stared after him, a sigh rising from deep inside. Wistfully, he tried to tell himself he would not mind the loss of these tiny stolen hours, but it was futile. The more he had got to know Arjun, the more he had understood why he was the apple of everyone's eyes.

Arjun had said once before that Yudhishthir would have been Karna's favourite brother, had they got a normal life.

But Karna was quite sure it would have been Arjun. Possibly it already was Arjun.

***************

"You were right as usual, Madhav," said Arjun angrily. "I had almost begun to forget the King of Anga is our enemy. It was kind of him to remind me."

"Indeed?" asked Krishna, bemused.

"Tomorrow first thing you will take our chariot straight to him."

****************

The air crackled with tension when Karna slouched into the Kaurava camp. To his shock, everyone was wide awake despite the late hour.

"Where have you been, my friend?" asked Duryodhan.