Naptime

Tw! Mention of sexual assuault. No details, pretty much just the words and a couple fears surrounding it

Caregiver
Clinton (daddy)

Little
Jesse (J man, J bird, Blue Jay)

Clinton Pov

"Jesse, baby, you need a nap. You're all cranky. If you want, I'll even lay down with you." He gave me a look that I couldn't quite read. "I sleeped fine last night," he told me. "Baby, if that were the case, you wouldn't be cranky. You don't ever get cranky unless you have a rough night. So let's lay down and take a nap together, yeah?" I said softly but sternly. He gave me the same strange look as earlier. "But it'll come back," he mumbled. "What'll come back baby?" I was naturally concerned. Was Jesse hallucinating? Was he in danger? Had somebody hurt him? "The bad dreams," Jesse mumbled again. "Baby, you could've woke me up for that. You know you're supposed to tell me when you have a bad dream so that I can help you. Why would you not tell me, J man?" I asked softly. Tears flowed down his cheeks. "I thought you'd maybe be mad at me. Didn't wan' Daddy be mad at me," he told me. "Jesse, baby. I would never get mad at you for having a bad dream. I know they're scary, I get them too sometimes. I'm always here, and I'll never get mad at you for asking me to help you," I said. Jesse put his arms up for me to hold him, to which I complied. He cried into my shoulder. I bounced him gently, walking to my room. He wouldn't want to sleep in his crib after having a nightmare last night. Too scary for him. When I got there, I laid him down on my bed. He was in sweats and a T shirt, which would be okay for him to sleep in. I laid down next to him and pulled the covers over us both. "Daddy, don't wanna nap," he whined with his eyes shut. "Baby, your body is telling me otherwise. Your eyes are closed and you're laid down cuddling into my side. You do those things when you're sleepy. You can sleep for a bit. Daddy's here to protect you. I promise. Nothing is going to hurt you. I'm not going anywhere." Jesse moved so his head was on my chest and one of his legs was draped over mine. Within a half hour, Jesse was asleep. So I went to talk to Pat. He knew what Jesse's nightmares were about. I was waiting for Jesse to tell me about them on his own, but he'd had them 4 nights in a row now. The poor boy had to have been terrified by now. So, I knocked on Pat's door. He uttered a 'come in," so I did. "We need to talk about Jesse. I need to know what these nightmares are about. He's had them 4 nights in a row, and I don't want them getting any worse." Pat inhaled sharply. "He got sexually assaulted before we met you guys. The guy just got out of jail recently, Jesse saw it on the news. He's been scared saying that the guy might come to finish the job and hurt him worse." "Okay. I'm gonna go back before he wakes up. I'll talk to him about this. Thanks, Pat," I said. Pat nodded. "I thought he would've told you by now. He always did have this fear of people telling him it was his fault. He doesn't want people to think he's nasty or tell him he's used goods. He had a few people like that at one time. Just try to soothe him the best you can without giving away that I told you," Pat requested. I nodded. Then I went back to my room. Jesse was still asleep, so I laid back down next to him. But I noticed that his face was contorted. It was obvious he was having a nightmare when the whimpers started leaving his mouth. I pulled him onto my chest, holding him close. He shot up, crying. "Shh, it's okay little man. I got you. You're okay. I'm here, and I'll keep you safe forever. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. I'm not gonna let anybody hurt you, ever," I told him. His whole body shook with the force of his sobs, and I knew he was on the verge of a panic attack. I stood and bounced him up and down on my hip to help keep him grounded. It worked, and within 15 minutes, he had calmed down. He hid his face in my shoulder, still letting out the occasional hiccup. "Daddy, why do you love me? I'm nasty," he said. "Jesse, baby. You are not nasty. You are the sweetest, most beautiful little boy I have ever met. Whatever happened, wasn't your fault. You didn't deserve any of it. And it doesn't make you nasty," I told him. He fell asleep on my shoulder again, sleeping peacefully until I woke him to ask what he wanted for dinner. He simply responded with a, "Nuggies and mackey cheese."

836 words