Epilogue

"It's amazing how one day someone walks into your life and you can't remember how you ever lived without them."

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

Two years later

"Are you sure you don't need this mosquito repellent?" I ask him. Going through the list I made for the hundredth time.

Kai chuckles. His back reverberates as he does so, bent over his suitcases. "Elena, I'm going to Europe, not to a wildlife reserve. No, I don't need that mosquito repellent. My bags are overweight as it is." He says, turning towards me.

I sigh as I take him in.

Today was his graduation day. And tomorrow is the day he leaves for Europe.

Last two years have passed by in a blink. So much has happened. Two years ago, I thought we were done but we worked through it. Kai has been taking anger management therapy while I have been taking much better care of my medications and health in general, we both supporting each other all through it.

Ofcourse we had fights. So many of them but they all either ended up with us cracking up at how stupid we were sounding just to prove a point, and for the more serious ones, we took mini breaks, spent some time with friends and came back when either of us realized that we love each other more than the stupid fight.

Kai also successfully managed to convince his father to let him pursue his art further. He was reluctant because he wanted a more secure future for him. So they reached an agreement. Kai would start a new arts segment on his father's channel. The work was simple and something he loved. He would travel and cover interesting, underepresented art stories while working on his own art.

I still have an year left till graduation and I know the coming future can be tough for us. But honestly, when has it ever been simple for either of us?

Kai has to come back frequently enough to work on the arts segment that I believe we would make this work. After hours of tedious conversations and calculations and making plans, I am as confident in us as I ever was. 

I feel tears clouding my vision and immediately look down. It's been so difficult for him, the thought of leaving me, I cant make it more difficult for him.

He takes me in his arms and with his other hand, he tips my chin up and sees the moisture in them. "Hey," He says, his voice soft and light as a cloud "I'm gonna be back sooner than your professor can grade your paper."

I laugh through teary eyes and wipe my tears away as they roll down my cheeks. "I know. I know that. I'm just.. I'm gonna miss you so much." I hug him tight.

He hugs me back. I know he is having it worse but he is being strong just for me.

We stay like that for a while until there's a knock on the door. Becca and Lucas enter. From Becca's eyes, you can tell that she has been crying for the most part of the day as well. It's hard on all of us.

We all don't say a thing and just hug each other. The silence saying more than we could've ever conveyed through words.

Lucas is going for higher studies to UK. It's the same college Becca wanted to join next year. But for now they are not so sure. They started dating at such a young age that now they are wondering if they are unconsciously holding each other back from experiencing all that life has to offer.

It has been particularly very hard for them to reach to the conclusion that they will take a break from each other this year and see where they stand next year.

Although I understand where they are coming from, it hurts to see them both in so much pain. None of us knows what the future holds but I am proud of them for taking such a big step. It requires a shit ton of courage.

Also, Lucas is leaving tonight.

We all help Lucas gather his stuff and take it to the cab. He wants a head start, like he and Kai always did, get a part time job and get settled in before college actually starts.

We were all supposed to go drop him but he said a clear no. I understand how difficult it is being on him. He might just not want to leave if he sees all of us crying and waving a goodbye to him at the airport.

We exchange a tearful goodbye before he enters the cab. Becca leaves for her brother's place soon after.

Back in the room, we recheck Kai's bags on my insistence. I used to find it annoying when my mother used to do this and now I am my mother. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all.

"The night is still young. What do you wanna do?" Kai asks, once we are done.

I sit on his bed and pat the space next to me. "Let's watch Crazy Rich Asians?" I suggest with a smile.

He laughs and plops down next to me. "Sounds like a plan."

We turn on the projector and he readjusts me so that I am sitting with my back to his chest.

I don't know how much of the movie we watched, all I remember is that it went in a loop while we just held each other, talked about vague distant future, had leftovers and slept in each others arms just like that.

By the time morning comes around, we are both prepared and happy for the life that lays ahead of us. Ofcourse it will be difficult. Ofcourse there will be times when we would just want to give up.

But does that scare me now?

Absolutely not.

Am I confident about us?

Hell yes.