#1.4: Starry-eyed

Dear diary,

Dear diary,

So... I kissed a boy. Like, I dunno, honestly. It just kind of...happened???

There's a week left for school to start. I'm kinda uneasy and also intimidated, and yeah, mostly nervous I think.

Karina comes over daily. We don't go to her house though, because her older brother is always studying, and he makes angry gestures and speaks something in Russian to her. I'm guessing he doesn't like us creating a mess and dressing up in her mum's clothes. Karina doesn't tell me what he says, but it's pretty obvious, isn't it? He doesn't want me to know what he's saying to her, so he says it in Russian.

I don't know. Siblings are weird.
I don't have one - and moments like these, I'm glad. But mostly, I'm not. I want a sibling, but that's okay now. I can't go all five-year-old mode and ask mum for a sibling. I like her company more anyways.

Karina, as usual, came over today and asked mum if she'd let me go to some get-together they're having. Almost all kids from her middle school are going to the same high school, and they decided to meet up before the year starts. Karina told me she knew a couple of people as well.

Mum was overjoyed, honestly. I get it, I don't step out, but it was pretty obvious by the way she was smiling. She wanted me to go. So I did.

Wore some funky-looking clothes, which were actually Karina's, and we went. Turns out, it was a fest of sorts. Maybe a carnival? Not the one shown in netflix shows (with alcohol and people hooking up) but it was almost like a school fair, just organised by our seniors.

People were having food and enjoying, creating a ruckus and music blasting loud, little stalls where we could buy stuff. It was a little out of my comfort zone, but for some reason, I really liked the vibe.

Karina (who went by Yoonjin as her Korean name) knew more than a couple of people. They were all nice and everything, but one of them mocked my accent. It's not something I can help, I told myself, but it was bugging me on and on.

They asked me where I was from, and I told them that we had moved here from England due to dad's work, and then they told me I'm English so I would be braver than others. No clue how they reached that conclusion?

I honestly didn't know how to respond, so I simply nodded. That was a mistake. They told me to go approach a guy and kiss him to prove that I was "brave". I just did a 'wtf' face because no way in hell was I going to kiss a dude I didn't even know the name of.

I told Karina there was no way I was gonna do it. Like - I get it, I've had boyfriends or whatever before but kissing a stranger is simply beyond me.

Karina told me she could find me a person and ask him to give me a favour because it'll make me look cool in front of the others and no one would bother me. I mean, it felt like a fair deal, because I didn't want to hear them mocking my accent one more time. It was annoying, really. And it would make me look cool also? I don't really remember what my thought process was at that moment, but for whatever reason, I said yes.