#1.7: Night

"Eun," Jungkook hummed, and his little munchkin looked up from his hand. They did this thing every week, where she filled colour in Jungkook's arm full of tattoos with either markers, paint or glittery sparkly pens. It reminded him so much of Hyunjae during the early stages of their college, but he was trying not to think about it. "Do you want to go see the bunnies today?"

It was their forte. Jungkook and his daughter shared the same bunny smile, and he found it heart-warmingly adorable. Once every month, they used to visit the local pet store and look at the animals there. They would laugh at the guinea pigs, pet the kittens, play with the puppies and feed carrots and celery to the bunnies. 

Jungkook's heart warmed to no bounds seeing his daughter's love for animals just like his. He was teaching her to be compassionate and love all beings on the planet, and this was one of the ways to do so. She was always so gentle and so caring with even a bug on the side of the road, it reminded him so much of the little anecdotes of his childhood his Eomma would tell lovingly to quite literally everyone she could get her hands on.

"Bunnies?" Haeun's ears perked up and she gave him a mischievous-looking smile and Jungkook knew the answer right away. "Let me clean you up before we go, okay baby?"

***

Getting a whole puppy back from the pet store was not on Jungkook's agenda that day. Or any other day this year, for that matter. Sure, he did not have any time in the world to look after a whole ass dog at this point in his life, although he loved them. It always reminded him of their family dog back in Busan, Gureum.

 But when his daughter gave him the most convincing pleading eyes, and said in the most adorable voice, "Appa, he looks just like you. Big eyes just like you. Please Appa, pleaseeee," he could not just say no. 

They bought a puppy home and named him Bam. 

Bam was a red and tan Doberman with silky fur. He had round eyes that rivalled Jungkook's and was so playful. Haeun giggled whenever he licked her lovingly and wiggled his tail. 

Jungkook was aware that owning a pet would come with a lot of challenges. Having lived alone in his apartment for over five years, he knew that he would need to make several adjustments to pet-proof his home and cater to Bam's needs, including buying a leash and food. He realized that he was not fully prepared for this new chapter in his life and anticipated that it would be a bit of a struggle. Despite the complexities, watching his daughter play and laugh with Bam made it all worth it. He would do it ten times over just for her.

Later that day, Hyunjae texted Jungkook to ask if he was coming over for dinner since he had to drop Haeun off at her apartment.

Jungkook cursed as he looked at his sleeping daughter on the couch, with Bam also lying down on the wooden floor near his feet, one of Jungkook's hands stroking the top of his head lovingly. He had totally forgotten about dropping off Haeun.