𝕏𝕀𝕀𝕀

chapter thirteen

chapter thirteen

          UNTIL TODAY, I HAD NEVER ATTENDED A COUNCIL MEETING. I was too young. Too weak. Completely vulnerable to the vultures circling my kingdom. 

So, Grandclain would take my place at this annual meeting, relaying all the concerns expressed by nobles since I was too young to voice an opinion. Since I was still... grieving. 

However, when I turned eighteen, I insisted on having more of a voice. After much struggle, Granclain conceded and, eventually, more of my own opinions were implemented into the realm. Every year since the Council was created, it was hosted in Venilla as they were recognised as the most 'neutral' kingdom. 

It was mostly due to the fact that it was so heavily fortified by its deep sea waters that any form of war could easily be stopped. 

But, this year, Nightshade's rulers urged for me to host the Council, claiming it was a new age for the realm. I reluctantly agreed to do so. 

Other rulers rarely stepped foot onto Aurelian grounds, so I had all my borders heavily guarded, including major towns, ports and factories. I was not sparing any chances. 

I ran my hand over my face as I fixed the loose strand of hair. I tucked it neatly behind my ear before my maids brought my crown. 

My berry-coloured gown hugged my figure until I couldn't breathe, complimented with pearls and rubies that shimmered when I moved underneath to the sunlight. My magic fizzled the tips of my fingers at the warmth of the light that beamed onto me. 

After hours of preparations, I finally left with Genvieve, who began to list all the arrivals at Whitewater Castle, our location for today's meeting. It was situated near the border between Aurealian and Nightshade - far from the main city and castle. 

In the carriage, Nox informed me that the Lamias have yet to arrive. They claimed to have a small dispute that needed to be sorted. I didn't believe that excuse. 

But, alas, I said nothing of it and had Grandclain quickly fill me in with this year's agendas. Like every other year, the Crescent Dynasty never sent anyone to the Council. 

We - I - believed it was because there was no one in Crescent to send. Now, I knew that wasn't the case at all. When I brought this up with Cayden, he informed me that it was to maintain the illusion. 

My brows creased at the thought of Cayden. He wasn't happy since my meeting with the nobles. I had a feeling he told Christian because that same night there was a devastating howl which ricocheted throughout my kingdom. I wanted to explain myself but I wasn't sure what I would even say. 

Unfortunately, I couldn't bring Cayden to the meeting. Nox claimed that the Lamias would instantly recognise his scent and that could endanger the wolves. As there were no representatives for Crescent, all motions were voted unanimously by the other parties.