𝕀𝕀

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

          THE UNEVEN GROUND, GREEN AS EMERALD, CAUSED me to stumble as I furthered myself away from the castle walls. There was a gentle breeze that winded past, not too cold, not too warm, but it was enough to send a shiver down my spine. Although it was dark, the moon had been my spotlight and directed me on my journey, my hands clung to my cloak to ensure my hood didn't fall. Deciduous trees didn't stop the streams of moonlight that spilt past the canopy as I pushed through the woods that bordered the southwestern side of the castle grounds. 

I made a mental note to mark that down on my map once I got back. I knew it from the second that I saw a vague trail leading away from the castle that this must've been the common way out past the walls which the servants used. So, I followed that trail. I was scared but I continued to follow that trail. I didn't stop to embrace the howls of the wind, or the brilliant moon, or the thousands of diamond-like stars. I didn't stop. I kept on moving.

Until the grass morphed into cobblestones.

That's when I knew I had arrived.

My heart released a weight I didn't even notice when I glanced back to see that I was miles from the castle. From the tip of my fingers to the end of my toes, I could feel a buzz of energy, a high, a rush that I had never experienced in my life. To my surprise, I released a breathy laugh that was laboured at first, before it found its rhythm, joy blossoming within the very depth of my soul. The breeze brought the smell of earthy greenery and freshly bakes patisserie; a scent I had forgotten for a very long time. My eyes turned away from my fortress and to my new profound freedom.

Aelton thrived with energy and life, and despite it being very late into the night, I saw children rushing through the streets with smiles and laughter trailing behind them. The buildings were built from stone, adorned with hanging greenery and painted in bright colours. They towered either side of the spacious, cobblestone street, and extended as far down as the eye could see.

Lamps added extra lightening that the moon couldn't provide and they hung from steel poles. A group of women laughed amongst themselves as they walked by, ignoring my presence completely. I wondered where they were heading to and quietly trailed behind them, keeping the hood over my face so that I was hidden from the public eye. The warmth the shawl provided me became insignificant as we ventured into the heart of the town where the residents all gathered around a large bonfire that burnt so vividly, it left no corner untouched with its light. Men, women and children alike huddled around the fire, laughing and chatting with each other in complete peace.

Banners hung from house to house, corner to corner with pinwheels and flowers that added a certain quirkiness to the town. I tried to stay hidden in the background but failed miserably as people entered the town centre from all directions, but once again dismissed my presence entirely. A cheery melody played in the background, bringing a smile across my face as I watched my people in content, rubbing my hands together to create some heat.