𝕀𝕀𝕀

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

          I GROANED WHEN I WOKE UP BECAUSE the slightest movement ached. My feet were sore and my muscles were in excruciating pain, the aftermath of running in heels through uncharted territory. I tried to stretch my arms but I just winced, my fingers brushing against the satin blanket.

Wait, what?

My eyes shot open.

The first thing I noticed was the beautiful mural painted above me, and I instantly recognized it. My father had painted it for me before I was born. Which could only mean I was in my bedroom. I hastily sat up, noticing how I was still in yesterday's gown which looked dirty and tattered as if something had clawed through the material. My throat felt hoarse and dry and my hair felt grim as I ran my finger through them, grimacing when I found a leaf trapped between tangled locks.

How did I even get back here?

I couldn't remember returning to the castle, I couldn't remember anything. I could only remember... my eyes widened - the beast.

My memories were blurry but I tried to use logic to understand what had just occurred, except nothing made any sense. Wolves were extinct; they were all killed during the war. So, who on Elysium did I see in the Eclipse Forest? A knock on the door forced me to shove my thoughts to the deepest part of my subconscious and fix my birdnest hair as Gen popped her head into the room with a cheery smile that told me she had no clue what occurred last night.

"You're finally awake," she beamed, gliding in the room. "You must've had quite the night considering you've been out for hours."

"I have?" I frowned, pushing myself out of my bed whilst she began to fill up my bathtub.

"Yes. When did you come back to the castle? I heard a noise in your room but the door was locked so I assumed you must've returned."

Now, I was seriously confused, but something in Gen's tone suggested that she wouldn't have the answer if I had asked her. Rather, she'd have more questions which could lead to my nobles finding out about my escapade. So, instead, I padded to the bathroom and began to strip out of my dress as she poured rose-scented gel into the water.

"I didn't catch a look at the time," I lied, feeling guilty for keeping this secret from my friend.

Gen glanced over her shoulder before she stood up from where she knelt. "Did you at least have fun?"

"It was an amazing night," - minus the men chasing me into the phantom-filled forest - "and I met so many people" - like the beast which should've been dead - "I enjoyed myself."

Gen's smile stretched ear-to-ear. "Good. I was worried something bad had happened. I've been having this sick feeling ever since you left but to know you're safe rests that feeling."