[May 2023] - IsabelCavesAuthor

Welcome to our interview for this month! We are with this talented author, IsabelCavesAuthor, who penned the story, WITCH DOCTORS INC.

About Isabel: I'm a writer and poet living in Auckland, New Zealand. I emigrated from Colombo, Sri Lanka, when I was quite small. I've been writing stories since I was about three years old. It's the magical, the whimsical and the spooky that have always interested me. I mostly write fantasy, but I also dabble in horror and sci fi. I'm also a haiku poet, with work published in quite a few journals, both online and in print

About WITCH DOCTORS INC.: Lily is the latest in a line of reincarnated witches that have all turned to evil. To prevent the First Witch's tragic story from repeating itself once again, Lily must solve magical mysteries, battle creatures with mystical powers, unravel the secrets of her past, and face the darkness within her own soul.

Tell us a little bit about yourself!
Hi everyone, I'm Isabel and I love all things fantasy. I'm particularly drawn to dark fantasy, which is the genre of my current project Witch Doctors Inc. I also write horror, science fiction, literary fiction, and poetry. I love: sunny days, beaches, animals and pizza. I don't love: dreary weather, the cold, or anything mint-flavoured.

How do you identify within the Asian American and Pacific Islander community and how has your heritage shaped the person you are today?
I'm of Sri Lankan heritage. I was born in Colombo, and moved to New Zealand when I was very small. My heritage has shaped the person I am in many ways. Colombo is a true melting pot of cultures, so I learned to be open to different ideas and ways of living from an early age. Sri Lankan people place great value on education, and my parents encouraged my curious nature by reading lots of books to me when I was little. This is how I discovered my love for stories.

Does your family have any traditions that are important to you? Feel free to share at least one experience here!
We celebrate Diwali/Deepavali every year. Also called the Festival of Lights, it's a time for the family to get together and bond over traditional food, music and dance. Before the Covid pandemic, the city I live in would host a public Diwali celebration. There was everything from samosas to fashion shows. We'd celebrate with family, then celebrate with the whole city :)

If you could introduce something from your culture to someone else, what would it be and why? It can be a tradition/custom, food, music, or anything else that comes to mind!
I would definitely introduce watalappam. Why? Because it's a truly heavenly dessert. It's a Sri Lankan coconut custard pudding made with jaggery, eggs, and a few other things. It's one of my favourite desserts.

What does AAPI Heritage Month mean to you?
To me, it's a time to celebrate, honour and learn about AAPI cultures.

How do your experiences as an AAPI author shape your stories? Do you take inspiration from your culture to tell your story? You may talk about 1-2 stories here.
As someone of Asian heritage growing up in a mostly European neighbourhood, I know how it feels to be the odd one out. It's probably why I'm drawn to writing about characters that don't quite fit in. Lily, the protagonist of Witch Doctors Inc, is the only witch in a planet full of humans.

Hinduism, practised by a significant minority of Sri Lankans, was a source of inspiration for the religious lore of the Witch Doctors Inc world. I don't want to give away any surprises, but if you make it to Episode 5 of Season One, you'll know what I mean ;)

What drew you to Dark Fantasy? What about this genre attracted you the most?
I like dark fantasy's ability to explore the darker aspects of human nature. I've always been intrigued by the darkness hidden within us.

What advice would you give a writer trying to write Dark Fantasy for the first time?
I'd say pay attention to the things that people try to hide. The things that people are uncomfortable sharing, or would rather slip under the rug. These are the things that scare us, but are more than just "surface scares" - they dig their fingers deep. That's where the best ideas come from. But remember that it's fantasy rather than horror, so feel free to let some light shine through the darkness too.

Who is your favorite author in Dark Fantasy and how did they inspire you?
J.K Rowling. Her Harry Potter series managed to be both dark and humorous. I enjoyed the combination, and it inspired me to seek the same balance in my own work.

Thank you so much, IsabelCavesAuthor, for being with us and agreeing to our interview. Check out their work to support them. That's it for this session. Have a fantastic week ahead and see you for our next interview!