[July 2023] - MarcoBaier

Welcome to our interview for this month! We are with this talented author, MarcoBaier, who penned the story, Tales of Ruuin - Homecoming.

What was your inspiration for this story? Any interesting facts about its title?

Primarily I wanted to explore the background of two of the main characters from my Harvest Wars books, namely the Lich Hunter Craven and his reluctant oddball scientist sidekick Echser. The rest just came together on its own.

What do you think are your story's strengths? Why should people read it?

I think I did a good job getting into the character's heads in this tale – which can be a disturbing experience when you crawl through narrow tunnels below an ancient graveyard. Ghastliness aside, I also packed a lot of funny dialogue and shenanigans into the story. Read it when you like horror and humor. Works just as well as a BBQ Pizza. And my BBQ pizza is delicious.

When you write, what comes first? The plot or the characters?

It can be one or the other. Sometimes a cool scene that settles in my mind will spawn characters and a plot. Other times, I have a good idea for a character that drives me to explore his world with him.

If you could meet the character(s) that you've created, what would you say to them?

I'd probably say, "Kneel. Thy god commands it!" Nah. Just kidding. I'd likely say, "Damn, guys... I am really sorry for all the nasty stuff I put you through."

When and why did you start writing in Dark Fantasy? What caught your interest?

As a boy - and I have yet to grow up, some say - I was a big fan of B-Horror and Fantasy movies from the 80s: Fright Night, The Thing, Conan the Barbarian. Stuff like that. Add to that video games from both genres, and you got a fertile ground from which all sorts of stories can grow. As for why I started writing, it happened when I started GMing Pen and Paper Roleplay. I came up with the adventures, and afterward, I often turned the sessions into stories. I still do that sometimes, but more often than not, the other way around. Homecoming is a good example. I wrote it as a story, then played it as an adventure with friends.

What other genres interest you other than Dark Fantasy? Do you write in them too? If so, tell us more about those works.

I also am fond of Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction or Fantasy. Some of my most successful stories are in that genre. Götterdämmerung and the Archetype trilogy come to mind. Occasionally, I flirt with other genres, usually in the form of crossovers, such as my Cowboys and Dragons story.

What does your typical writing day look like?

I'll write for about an hour first thing in the morning, directly after getting up – even before I have my coffee. This is more or less a meditative practice for me and settles me for the rest of the day. I'll try to get more writing and editing in as the day goes on and usually end up with two, sometimes three hours a day.

What interesting things have you learned throughout your journey as a writer?

Good writing is in editing, but to overwork a piece of art is to destroy it.

Who is your favorite author in Dark Fantasy and how did they inspire you?

Currently, I'd say that title goes to Joe Abercrombie. I don't know if I would go so far as to say that he inspired me because I was already writing for a long time before I read any of his First Law books. However, it was certainly good to see somebody else mixing grim humor with horror and getting away with it.

How do you build dark fantasy worlds and tell dark fantasy stories?

One word at a time.

Is there going to be any further series of this book? If yes, give a little teaser about it.

There are several novels and stories, in fact. Some are out there (including on Wattpad), and some I guard miserly with the full intention of publishing them one day – if I find the time and motivation to do it right.

Is there another story in the works that you would like to share with the readers?

There are several stories in the making, but they are all on ice right now because I am taking a break from creative writing and focusing more on technical stuff – such as finalizing my Tales of Ruuin RPG system.

What are the goals you'd like to accomplish in the future whether in Wattpad or outside it?

I want to publish more of my books on paper and audio. Wattpad and electronic reading are great. But sometimes you want to smell paper and hold a real book in your hand or close your eyes and listen to an audio book while chillaxing.

Thank you so much, BellOfSilence, for being with us and agreeing to our interview. Check out their works below to support them.

Tales of Ruuin - Awakening

 If you speak German, check out: 

Archetype
Cowboys & Dragons

That's it for this session. Have a fantastic week ahead and see you for our next interview!