Chapter 4

Charles

NOW

I missed her touch like crazy, I know she felt this shiver too from the way she's looking at me and how she's trying to hold back the tears. Tears that are threatening my eyes too.

"When did you come back? You could have called me for a coffee...I missed you." Celine is in panic, I can feel the pain she's feeling looking at me, but I don't understand why.

I don't have time to ask her anything else, she puts her hand on the handle, pushing the door outwards.

"It's nice to see you Charles."

When the door closes two pairs of eyes are on me.

"Do you know her?"

The answer is more than obvious at this point, and I can't help but nod at my girlfriend's question and then turn the question back to my friend Liam. Alexandra frowns.

"How do you know her if she's from New York?" Liam and I start to answer at the same time, but when the blonde receives a side eye from my girlfriend he understands that it's better for him to shut up.

My heart beats so fast that for a moment I think I'm going to faint. Alexandra knows about my ex, she knows everything, except her name.

"I've known her since before she moved to New York, we were friends." I'm lying of course but I don't want to have to go through an interrogation right now.

"I met her last night, we were at Jimmy'z, she totally enchanted me, I'm really happy I've met her again."

A feeling of annoyance grows in my chest, picturing my friend and my ex-girlfriend together on a dance floor makes my blood boil. I know very well what Celine is capable of, I know better than anyone else.
"Don't be an asshole to her, please."

Liam nods. "I'll treat her like a princess."

She was mine, I think sadly.

I know, like Alexandra does, that I'll never love anyone as much as I loved Celine. Alex understood this when she met me and I told her how shitty that period of my life was.

It was two years ago. We got together a year and four months after that.

When she notices my lost gaze she seems to connect the pieces of the puzzle. She understood, I know, but I choose not to say anything, I simply change subject.

"Love, I'll take you to lunch." I put my arm around her shoulders and together we head towards the exit.

Neither of us speaks for the entire journey, or even after ordering. I think about how the girl I left two years ago has changed, and about the silent promise we made to each other.

I'm waiting for you, when you come back I'll be here ready to love you, to save you.

What a fucked up promise, she probably doesn't even remember it, while I think about it almost every day.

The truth is, I still haven't let her go. I've always carried her with me and now that she's here again I'd be ready to leave everything to be able to breathe her scent and have one of her kisses.

I like Alexandra, but she's not Celine. When she kissed me for the first time I left her on a bench in the park, I went home and cried. When I realized that the lips that had touched mine were not Celine's, I understood that I would never, ever be able to forget her.

Of course, over time I had to move on with my life, but I'd promised myself that I would have never allowed any other girl to get to know me and love me like she had.

Almost two years after our last goodbye, I was certain that she would've never came back, I had convinced myself to stop hoping for her to actually come back, but here she was in Alex's shop.