Chapter 16

Special update for the 21,3 K reads!! Thank you all so much!

This is gonna be a very long chapter! Hope you'll enjoy it!

Celine 

Now 

"I didn't mean to interrupt your evening, maybe it's better if I come back another time..." I really don't know what I thought, coming here this late at night and not thinking Alexandra would have been there too. What I was not expecting for sure are the shouts coming from his apartment.

"Non! Céline, s'il te plaît, ne t'en va pas!" As Charles is basically begging me to stay Alexandra is already half way down the stairs, cursing at me for the second time. Then the main door shuts and it's just me and him facing each other, silence hoovering over us.

"Wanna come in?" I nod at his question and fully embarrassed I walk into the apartment.

"I'm sorry for popping in here with no warning." But Charles doesn't even get the time to answer since a big dog jumps on me wagging its tail.

"Maple down dude! Désolée, she's never like that around strangers." I smile thinking back to our first encounter, maybe it would've been better not to accept Alex's kind offer to buy me breakfast. Maybe now everything would be less complicated. "That's because we've already met! She's a beauty Charles."

I follow him to the sofa, while Maple's still jumping around me happily. "Can I get you something? Tea, coffee?"
In this moment I probably need something stronger, and Charles seems to understand it.

"I just have red wine, or I would've offered it to you." Now he also looks embarrassed, on my side I'm more than sure to be blushing.

"You still remember it..." Mine it's nearly a whisper, but he hears me even if he doesn't really understand the meaning of my words.
"You remember I don't drink red wine." He just shrugs his shoulders with a shy smile.

"You never liked it. I remember every single detail of you Celine."

"Please, it's just Lin, you know." My name from his lips sound so formal and cold it makes me feel awkward.

"I thought Lin was just for your friends... After how you treated me at your place it doesn't look like we still are." His sentence sweeps away all the enthusiasm I came here with tonight.

"Charlie, je suis vraiment désolé, je n'aurais jamais dû crier après toi comme ça." I hear him sighing, shutting his eyes for some moments. When he opens them again he looks more relaxed, deep down he knows I didn't mean to behave as I did.

"Why did you come back?" I could swear he was happy to see me when he opened the door a few minutes ago.

"To say sorry, for the other day. I've been a bitch and..." But his question was different, and he doesn't wait to ask me what he meant.

"No, I mean, why are you back from New York?" Oh. Still the only question I don't want to answer.

"A lot of things did not work out... I'm here to talk but please don't ask me anything about it." I'm begging him, probably I look pathetic but I don't care, it's just Charles and he's seen me in way worse condition through the years.

"Bien, no New York." I can feel a trace of delusion in his voice, but I try not to think about it, choosing to change the subject completely.

"What happened with Alex?" I can't stop my curiosity, and Charles nearly bursts out laughing.

"A lot of things were not working." He says, quoting me, "especially since you came back." I don't like this, is he really blaming me?

"What do you mean 'especially since you came back'?" I suddenly turn around, facing the guy who's now moved to the other side of the open space, walking nervously up and down.