Chapter 5

Celine

Now

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

It's the only word that comes to mind, fitting this situation. I have to smoke, take my coat to the cleaners, and do anything else that keeps my mind busy.
Maybe I shouldn't have come back. I wasn't ready to see him again, all the few certainties I'd managed to build were destroyed by his green eyes looking into mine.

Charles in front of me a few hours earlier.

Charles telling me he missed me.

Charles asking me for a coffee.

Never, we should never, ever meet alone. Neither of us could handle the situation. I've thought about him every day since I flew to the other side of the world and now I wouldn't know how to start a conversation anyway.

A message lights up the screen.

7.30pm, send me your address and be ready. Liam.

Send me your address, I'll pick you up.

I wasn't going to get in the car with him for sure, I don't even know him. I've developed a fear of cars in the last two years, of driving in particular. I can't get into a car if a stranger is driving. Ironic for being the ex-girlfriend of a Formula One driver, I know.

He doesn't make too much fuss, or rather he complains for ten messages, then I'm forced to give him an ultimatum.

I don't understand how it's possible I got myself in such a situation: I'm going to the party of Charles' new girlfriend, accompanied by who I understood, after a brief research, to be this year's new Ferrari driver.

I still have time to back out, drive to the airport and get on the first plane. I wouldn't even care about the destination.

Then the passenger door opens, too late Celine! Luckily the journey doesn't take long, and when we arrive we immediately head towards Alexandra's apartment. It's a small loft in one of the new buildings overlooking the main street of Monaco. As soon as we set foot in the living room a ball of fur runs towards us and starts wagging her tail in front of me. I bend down and take a moment to pet Maple before joining Liam again.

There aren't many guests, the music is low and this allows me to spend the evening talking to Liam, managing to avoid all the fleeting glances from Charles, which every now and then I feel burning on my skin, embarrassing me. Then when Liam excuses himself to speak with some friends, I send a message to Kelly.

Today I met the boy from last night, I'm at a party with him... Charles is also there with his girlfriend...

I press send and put the phone back in my pocket, looking around a bit lost. I don't like being alone, surrounded by people I don't know, but then I remember the promise I made to myself: meet people. My phone vibrates.

Are you at Alex's party?

You know her right?

I've met her...
Max is coming to the party, he was invited by Charles, if you want to leave, tell him and he'll bring you right back here.

It's okay Kells, I'm having fun here with Liam

Liam?? Liam Lawson?? As Charles' new team-mate?

I found out too late...

Just when I put the phone in my bag, Max enters the apartment. Not even a minute passes before he notices me, looking at me with a confused look.

"Lin? What are you doing here?" A nervous laugh leaves my lips.

"Liam invited me, I met him last night..."

Max seems amused, we still had to talk about yesterday but at least I know that he isn't really mad at me.

"And you thought it would be a good idea to date your ex's new teammate. Good thing you wanted to avoid Charles."
He chuckles.

"I didn't know Carlos is no longer racing with him, the only news I get about Formula One are yours and Daniel's."
I remind him coldly.

"Okay, our bad then!" He laughs again, then someone calls him from the other room and I find myself alone again.

Luckily it isn't long before Liam joins me and together we head towards the living room, under the curious eye of Alexandra.

She seems annoyed by my presence, and I think I have an idea of why. But can you blame her?
When we reach the living room and Liam's arm wraps around my waist bringing me closer to his chest, I feel Charles' gaze, as well as Max's, focus on us.

"This party is boring." I whisper in his ear, making him smile, I'm pretty sure that all the guests think so: there's little alcohol and the music is too low to be in 'party mood'.

I wonder how Charles is having fun when only three years ago we used to attend the biggest parties in the city, where alcohol and music that filled your ears were all you needed to have fun, not to mention the gatherings I took him to during the breaks between one grand prix and another.

I'd dragged him to those rallies for the first time to introduce him to what I loved most in the world, illegal sports car racing.

And now his perfect new girlfriend pours him some lemonade mixed with vodka while cheesy pop music plays in the background, and the worst part is that he seems really happy.

However, it wasn't a smart move, Alexandra heard me and glared at her blond friend. Liam immediately stops laughing and brings me closer to his body, hiding his face in my hair.

"Oh-oh, I think you messed up big time, cherie!" When Alex's angry eyes collide with mine, Charles and his friend are ready for anything.

Alexandra, however, chooses to play it cool and while she and I continue to stare at each other, Liam brings his mouth closer to my ear, moving my hair aside.

"I don't know why but I'm pretty sure Alex hates you."
His voice is hoarse and low so much that I feel something in my stomach move, creating small shivers down my spine.

I try to calm down and then I turn around slightly, moving my gaze to Liam's face. The boy's eyes are fixed on my lips and when I too begin to stare at his pink and thin lips, I feel a big urge to taste them.

We talked all evening and got to know each other better. He is a nice and very attractive guy, and we have many interests in common.

As much as I'm dreaming of that kiss, we have to wait, I don't want to make a scene in front of all these people, much less in front of my ex. The last thing I want to do is make him jealous.

Eventually our little moment of intimacy is broken by a cough.

"Is the party boring? I'm sure a nice little drinking game will shake things up, how about never have I ever? Or maybe you know better ones, coming from New York..."

This is a real provocation and I'm not letting anyone humiliate me. I look once again in Charles' eyes, now narrowed, before heading towards his girlfriend and snatching the glass from her hand in a challenging way.