Chapter 38

Nandini looked towards Manik to see him already staring at her. She sighed and cupped his face.

Nandini: You have to get hold on your emotions Manik. You have to be strong and take care of our children.

Manik jerked her hands away and stood up.

Manik: Stop thik Nandini.....this is not some mere joke....did you get it....!! It's not something you can joke about.

Manik shouted looking at her. His eyes had turned red.

It took Nandini everything to not break down in front of him seeing his condition but she have to stay strong and act calmly.

She got up and went near the cupboard. She took out a folder and took her reports from there she came towards Manik.

Nandini: I knew you will not believe in it. These are the reports.....

She handed him her reports.

Nandini: I have brain tumor Manik. And it's the last stage. I don't have much time left.

A shiver ran down his spine and he gulped down the lump that was struck on his throat. He saw the reports with shivering hands and slowly his eyes became blur.

Manik: This....this can't..be true.....this can't happen.....no.....

The reports slide down from his hands and he fell down on his knees.

Manik: This can't happen.....no.....

He kept blabbering. Seeing him Nandini rushed towards him and kneeled down in front of him.

Nandini: Please control yourself Manik. Don't do like this.....

Nandini's eyes glistened seeing his condition and she hugged him. It did not take much time for him to hug her back and broke down in her arms.

Manik: You can't do this to me Nandini.....after so long we are back together now you can't leave me again Nandini....no.....

He hugged her as tightly as possible as if his life depended on it. He was in a mess while Nandini's condition was no less. Nandini kept rubbing his back to calm him down.

They stayed in that position for a long time. After some time Nandini controlled herself and wiped her tears and broke the hug forcefully and cupped his face. She wiped off her tears and planted a kiss on his forehead.

Nandini: Manik....get up.....

She made him stand up on his feet and took him near the bed and made him sit down in the bed.

Nandini: Wait I'm coming.....

She turned only to feel a tug on her wrist. She looked towards him to see him looking at her with teary eyes.

Manik: Please don't go Nandini..... don't leave me.....

Nandini: I'm not going anywhere Manik.....just a minute please.....

Nandini removed his hand and went to the side table. She poured some water on the glass and gave it to him.

Nandini: Drink it..... you will feel better.

Manik gulped down the water. Manik took the glass from his hand and kept it on the table and went near him. All this while Manik was looking at her continuously.

She sighed and sat beside him.

Manik: Is it really true Nandini.....

He asked still being in a daze.

Nandini: Yes Manik.....it is.....

Manik looked devastated. More tears gathered in his eyes.

Manik: From when..?? And how did this.....

Manik was not in a state of talking still he murmured looking at her.

Manik: Nandini I want to know everything after you left. Please tell me.....

Nandini wiped his tears and held his hands.

Nandini: 5 years ago after I left the house  with Aru my mind was blank.... I didn't knew where to go or what to do....Aru was continuously asking me where we were going but I didn't have any answer. I was feeling weak from few days but ignored the fact but my body didn't supported me more. I felt everything turning black and after that when I opened my eyes I was in the hospital.
          Seeing me getting my consciousness back the nurse called the doctor. The doctor came and informed me that I blacked out on the road and some local people brought me there. He told me that I was pregnant. That moment was dreading for me. I didn't knew if I should be happy or sad. I was obviously very happy as again I was going to become a mother and dad at the same time as it reminded me of you.
         I saw Aru coming in with a nurse. He was a crying mess. Seeing me he came to me and hugged me tight. The nurse told me that he was in the children's play area as I was unconscious. He was so scared seeing me becoming unconscious that he was not at all ready to leave me.
         After getting discharged from the hospital I decided that I will not stay in that city anymore. So I came here and rented a small house with my savings. And with my certificates I got my work back. I started with a small nursing home that time and also made Aru's addmission to the nearby school. All this things were very difficult for me. And my health was not helping either. I started working without any rest to raise Aru well and also remembering about the life that was going to take birth after a few months.
          After 8 months Ikshu was born. She was a preterm baby. It was because I over worked and also the stress. When my labour pain started I so wanted you to be by my side. You know Manik when I held her for the first time she was looking the same as Aru when he was born.

While narrating all these things Nandini's eyes were full of tears. Manik was just staring at her listening to everything very carefully.

Nandini: After joining back to my work I started feeling weak. I thought of visiting a doctor as my health was becoming a barrier to my work and taking care of the kids as well. I took the appointment of a neurologist Dr. Aryamann Khurana. He is a famous neurologist here. He did some test and I informed me about my tumor that was in the brain. I was mentally devastated hearing that.
         He advised me to take rest and take medicines regularly. I motivated myself to be strong.

Nandini wiped her own tears and looked at Manik only to see him staring at her. His eyes had turned red and he was shaking.

Manik: I'm sorry...... I'm so sorry.... I.....It all happened because of me..... I'm sorry Nandini......

Nandini cupped his face and looked straight into his eyes.

Nandini: I have told you million times Manik that whatever happened was not your fault.

She engulfed him in her arms and felt him slowly breaking down. She understood that this time it will be hard for both of them to get hold of themselves.

To be continued...........