𝚂𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽

✍︎

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

There was a time when I thought that the only reason I loved Sophie Perry when we were younger was because she was one of my only friend who was a girl.  Then when I grew up I thought it was because she was the only girl at Welton. I use to think 'you'll grow out of those feelings', but after convincing myself for years it just doesn't seem possible.

Sophie was breathtaking. That was obvious to anyone who had eyes. But there were so many internal things that made Sophie completely and utterly beautiful in her own way.

Like how she'd sit and listen to everything Pitts and Meeks say about their radio even when it's clear she was getting tired. 

The way she looked at her brother with the utmost admiration. The two bicker and while Sophie hates that she's the younger from the two, she looks up to Neil like he's her idol.

The way she sat with Knox for hours at night when he was sick and had a fever. She didn't leave his side once. Not even when she began to get hot and her throat began to get scratchy.

She did that with all of us. Like when I had tonsillitis. Or when Neil got the flu badly.

She usually swapped rooms with us so that our roommates weren't kept up all night with the coughing or anything.

She was good like that. She is good like that. She would give her arm for any of us and not think twice. If any of us needed anything she would try as hard as she could to help us get it. Like when Cameron was struggling with Latin and she stayed up late making cards for him to revise from. All of us would be lost without her.

I would be lost without her

And lately I've felt this need to always be around her. Like if I wasn't, I wasn't complete.

I'd wanted to kiss her. I should have kissed her. But did she want to kiss me? Would she have kissed me back? Or would she have pushed me away?

I'd asked myself those questions when I was getting dressed. The ones I was still asking myself as I walked out of the door and made my way towards the lake.

Cameron and the others were stood at the side as I walked up to them.

"Where have you been?" Cameron asked, turning his attention to me.

"Why you miss me?" I asked him earning a scoff in response as Nolan made his way over to us.

"Boys, boats in the water. We need to get started" he said making us all move to grab the boats.

Once they were in the water, Nolan sat at the top of ours with his megaphone as we began rowing

Ever heard of heaven on earth? Well this was hell earth.

I looked over at the green, noticing a figure stood by the tree. Sophie usually stretched over there before she ran. And that's where she was now. She seemed to shake herself before looking up and meeting my eyes.

I rolled my eyes, nodding my head back to Cameron. She gave me a scolding look, shaking her head earning a wink from me as she turned away and began her run

"Take a power train in two, three. Keep your eyes in the boat" Hager shouted, snapping me away from her retreating figure. He was glaring at me as he took the megaphone down from mouth.

Great.

"Jesus, Charlie, can't you pay attention?" Cameron whispered from behind me,

"Jesus, Cameron, can you shut up" I said imitating him while looking back at him a bit.

"Mr Dalton, maybe focus less on talking and more on the task at hand" Nolan said from the front.

"Yes sir" I said continuing to row, my mind still travelling to Sophie.

After an hour and a half we were done and I was making my way to Sophie's room, hoping she was back. But when I opened the door with my clothes in my hand, she was nowhere in sight.

I got in and turned on her shower and let it run over me as I thought back to earlier. What would I have done if it was Neil who walked in?

Neil would flip. He was very protective of Sophie. Always had been. It was obvious that's why he took the wrath of his father. For as long as I'd known Soph and Neil, he always made sure that she was protected from him.

I turned the shower off, got out and changed before leaving the bathroom. Id wished she was in the room when I left like she had been the morning before.

There was no point in denying the fact that I'd lied so that she would let me shower here. She probably wouldn't of turned me away had I not had that excuse but there was that fear that she would.

I wouldn't say anything yet. Not until I knew she felt the same. I wasn't going to put what we have on the line just because of a stupid crush.

Who was I kidding? This was way more than a crush