I.II

A week and a half later

Eddie sat in the fire truck with his new colleagues, nervously trying to get ahold of the hospital where both his wife and son were.

Christopher wouldn't leave his room that morning unless Eddie promised him that he could stay with Catalina, his mother, all day.

"Is everything okay?" Evan or, as he likes to be called, Buck asked once he noticed him becoming frustrated with his phone.

"Yeah, there's no service. Texts won't even get through." He responded, frustrated and nervous. He knew the hospital would be a safe place after an earthquake but he still couldn't shake the fear. His wife was immobile and his son wouldn't be able to help if something happened.

Their safety was all he could think about.

"Who're you trying to get a hold of?" Buck asks, curious as to who could have Eddie so frustrated.

Eddie hesitated for a second, he hadn't told any of his new colleagues about his personal life. He always had trouble sharing bits of it. "The hospital. I'm trying to get a hold of the hospital." He decided to answer. Vague but to the point.

Buck didn't let up though. He was too strong headed; stubborn.

"Do you have someone in the hospital?" Buck continued to ask. Eddie hesitated again. He'd just met these guys a few days ago and he wasn't sure how they'd react. Most people called him crazy for sticking to his wife while in a coma no one thinks she'll come out of.

A part of him agrees with them but he loved Catalina too much to give up.

With a sigh, he answered Buck's question, knowing that if he didn't tell him he'd never let it go.

"My wife's hospitalized there and my son went to visit her for the day. She's in a coma so I'm worried." It felt like a weight lifted off his chest as he told them. He didn't know why but it was probably due to not talking to anyone about Catalina, ever.

She was a sensitive topic for obvious reasons.

"Awe man, I'm sorry I didn't mea-" Eddie cut him off. "It's fine Buck. I've needed to talk about it—about her—for a while now anyways. Not healthy to keep it all bottled up, you know?" Eddie sighed, putting his phone away once he realized he wouldn't be getting through to the hospital any time soon.

"I'm sure they're fine, Eddie. A hospital is as safe as they can be during all of this." Captain Nash reassured his new recruit.

"Yeah, I hope so."

༄。°

Eddie and Buck maneuvered through the tilted building looking for any signs of life. The tipped building creaked and lightly shook with every step they took.

"Careful Buck. We don't want this building to tip over and crush us like a bug." Eddie told him, watching as he jumped to the other side of the staircase.