I.VII

Christopher sat with his mother

Christopher sat with his mother. A few months passed and, so far, everyone else stopped being able to hear Catalina except for him.

"Dad's sad he couldn't come," Christopher said, laughing, as he talked to her. He couldn't be happier. Even if she wasn't awake, he knew she would be soon. For now, he was happy to just be able to talk to her.

You know your papi's job is important. He'll stop by after." Catalina said softly, as she sat next to him, stroking his hair. "Why does he have to work so much?" Christopher asked as he played with her fingers. She was glad that she could still feel whatever happened to her conscience body.

Catalina sighed, "You know his job's important. He saves people and he uses that money to keep you in school and keep me-" She cut herself off, not wanting to say something regrettable even though it was completely obvious.

"Alive?" He finished for her. Christopher was a smart kid, but sometimes she wished he was still her little baby boy so she could keep him protected. He shouldn't have to worry about his mother possibly passing away while he's either asleep or at school.

Christopher quickly changed the subject, knowing that his mother would get upset if they continued down that path and the last thing he ever wanted was for her to get upset.

༄。°

Eddie rushed into the room, slightly startling both Catalina and Christopher. "Sorry! We just-" He took a deep breath as he sat down next to his son. "We had a big call today at work." Catalina couldn't help but feel worried at his words.

"Que paso?" She asked him. "Mom asked, what happened?" Christopher said, being a kind of messenger for his parents. He didn't mind. He always admired how much they loved each other.

"Nada, the important thing is that everyone's safe now." He told them, not wanting to worry them. He knew Catalina worried about him all the time.

Catalina knew he wasn't saying the entire truth but she didn't want to push him. Not wanting to get into an argument through Christopher.

The family spent some, very needed, time together for the rest of the day. Eddie didn't have to go to work tomorrow so he and Christopher decided to have a sleepover at the hospital.

They didn't do it often, mostly because either Eddie had work the next day or Christopher had to go to school.

"Buck and Maddie might stop by later. " Eddie informed his wife as he finished setting up a cot for Christopher. 

No matter how many times Catalina scolded him for it, Eddie always just slept in a chair holding her hand. He never gave her an explanation as to why, but it was nice to feel his touch. Even if it was just a ghostly feeling.

"I hope Maddie's okay. Chimney came in a bit ago and ranted about it." Catalina worried as she chewed her nails. "Mom said Chimney told her and that she hopes Maddie is okay." Christopher retails for his mother.