II.II

Eddie hadn't left the hospital since Catalina woke up and immediately fell back into the coma

Eddie hadn't left the hospital since Catalina woke up and immediately fell back into the coma. The doctors told him it was a rare occurrence in coma patience but it did happen.

They'd wake up for a second and then fall back into it. Eddie hated it.

He wanted his wife back and those few minutes he had her back haunted him day and night.

He looked over at her unconscious body, his shoulders feeling cold from where he knew Catalina was holding him. It was all torture but he couldn't bring himself to leave yet.

"Eddie, you've been here for day. Why don't you go home and freshen up? I'll stay here and call if anything happens." Buck tried to convince his friend as he stood near the door.

The 118 had been taking turns checking on Eddie and making sure he was taking care of himself. Christopher had been spending most of his time with Carla or his abuela.

No one had the heart to tell him that his mom had woken up for a bit. They knew he'd be devastated that he wasn't there to see her.

Eddie shook his head, "I can't. What if she wakes up and I'm not here? If-" He took a deep breath as he placed his hand on his shoulder where he knew Catalina's forearm was. "If she could wake up once, she could again." His voice was quiet.

Catalina hated seeing her husband like this. He had let his beard grow out and his hair was all messed up. He was letting himself go.

"You can't be here for her, to support her, if you can't take care of yourself." Buck told him, hoping his words would get through to him.

Eddie thought about it, holding his wife's still hand in his.

"Don't do this to yourself, Eddie. Take care of yourself." Catalina said, hoping that'd he be able to here her like those few other times. Sadly, he couldn't.

Eddie sighed, rubbing his tired face as he stood up, that cold feeling around his shoulders disappearing. Catalina stood back, standing near a corner as she watched how her husband looked down at her unconscious body with such grief and longing.

"I want to wake up just as badly as you want me too. I swear, I'm trying." Catalina's voice was soft yet frustrated as she watched Eddie and Buck walk out of the hospital room.

She was thankfully that Eddie had a good support system. It made her miss hers.

They had all left her after a year, leaving her with just her husband and son. Not that she minded so much, she loved them.

But, it made her think of her past. Specifically two certain friends she had in high school that she knew would've stayed by her side if they stayed in contact.

Flashback...

It was the beginning of sophomore year—August—and Catalina sat in her car outside of the school, taking deep breaths.