II.III

"Cat, you can't be serious

"Cat, you can't be serious." Judd chuckled as he leaned against the back of his truck, dipping his spoon back into the cup of ice cream they had bought a few minutes ago.

He and Catalina sat on the back of his truck in the seemingly empty parking lot. "What? You don't think I'd be a badass firefighter?" Catalina said, placing her hand on her hip as she stood up, towering over Judd now.

He rolled his eyes, admiring how her dark hair flowed against the fall wind. They'd been friends for a month now and he knew he'd never have another best friend like her. She was his everything, he'd never cared for another girl like this but he knew what he felt wasn't romantic.

Catalina knew that. They were was Mirabelle liked to call, 'platonic soulmates.' It was endearing to think that they were meant for each other in such a wholesome way.

"I didn't say. I just think you'd do better as something else." Judd shrugged as Catalina took her spoon from the cup and ate some of the ice creams. She sat on the edge, looking up at the stars. "Maybe you're right. I don't think I really want to be a firefighter anyway." She giggled as she thought about the real reason she wanted to become one.

Judd raised an eyebrow, leaning forward. "Do tell the real reason." He teased her, making her look down at him with a smile on her face. "I want a hot firefighter husband. What can I say?" She shrugged jokingly as she moved to sit next to him.

Judd doubled over in laughter at her reasoning. "You're willing to sacrifice your life and run into fires just for a chance with your hot co-worker?" He asked her, trying his hardest not to laugh again as he held a goofy smile on his face.

Catalina rolled her eyes, shoving him lightly. "Okay, it sounds bad when you say it like that but, I don't know, I can feel that I'm going to marry a firefighter." She shrugged, dipping her spoon back into their ice cream. "You can still do that without becoming one. Trust me, Cat, one day you'll find that hot firefighter you want and he'll be head over heels in love with you." He reassured her as he swung an arm around her shoulder, pulling her into his side.

They sat like that for a while, enjoying each other's presence as they stared up at the night sky. Catalina had her head leaned against his shoulder, as he had his head leaned against hers. He truly couldn't have asked for a better best friend and they'd only known each other a month.

Judd knew he'd be in her life one way or another. He knew one day he'd see her get married and have kids and vice versa. He knew one day their kids would be friends and they'd host weekly dinners at each other's homes.

"You think we'll continue to be this close after we graduate next year?" Catalina suddenly asked, not moving from her spot in his arm. He pulled her closer, placing a gentle kiss on the top of her head. "I'm sure well will. You ain't getting rid of me that easy, Cat." He reassured her worries. Catalina had major abandonment issues after her father left her and her mother.