xii. the smiley face.

chapter twelve . . . the smiley face.
─────────────────────────

real life!

"WHO'RE YA TEXTIN'?" Jonathan placed a hand abruptly on Avalon's shoulder, peaking at her screen which had a suspiciously low brightness.

Avalon jumped startlingly, pressing her phone against her chest and taking a dramatic deep breath in, exhaling with a chuckle, "You scared the shit outta me. Don't do that. Ever again."

"My bad." JD laughed quietly, "You didn't answer my question though." He nudged her with his elbow, causing her to squirm.

"Just a friend." She smiled ever-so-slightly, bringing her phone into her sight to finish sending her text.

JD was silent for a second, eyes squinting as his jaw clenched subconsciously. He sucked on his teeth before talking, "What's this friend's name?"

"Uh," Avalon began, eyes darting back and forth between her open texts and Jonathan's glistening eyes, "Chris."

"Do I know him?" Jonathan wondered aloud, taking a step closer to the girl, eyes peering down at her in anticipation.

Avalon hesitated, "Maybe. He was in the show that came out earlier this year, you've probably of it. The Summer I Turned Pretty. Sound familiar?"

"Yeah." Jonathan hummed, "Yeah."

"I doubt you watched, super cute show by the way, but he played one of the brothers the main character liked." Avalon explained ambiguously, trying her hardest not to spoil the entire show with a simple recap.

"Oh, nice." Jonathan tilted his head on an angle and down a little bit to rid of the bright sun attacking his irises, inching closer to Avalon as she typed swiftly on her phone screen. "So...how did you and Chris become friends?"

"He, uh, dm'd me on insta the other day." Avalon recalled, looking up from the screen to place a hand like shield for her eyes across her forehead. She watched as JD's eyes crinkled slightly, his arms folding sloppily across his chest.

"Why?" He interrogated monotonously. Suddenly, she could feel him towering over her body.

"He wanted to tell me I'm pretty." She told him, watching as his tongue swiped steadily from right to left across his full lips, eyes beginning to wander before she spoke again, "And asked me for my number."

"Cool." He nodded. He glanced down at his phone, thinking silently for a moment, "I gotta go. I catch ya later."

"Oh, okay." Avalon hummed, "Bye."

"Bye." He nodded, turning on his heel to leave. He called out with his back turned to her, "He's not wrong, by the way."

And with that he stalked off towards his trailer, hands stuffed in the pockets of his dark cargo shorts as he weaved between crowds of people loitering in their free time. Not wrong about what?

She felt a buzz in her hand, taking a peek to see Chris was texting her back. A faint smile crept onto her lips.

. . .

imessages!

chris 🤙

i'm free this saturday, next wednesday
or next friday
i know your filming so chose a day
that works best for you

this saturday works fine for me
they decided they're going to give us
saturdays off instead of sundays
idk why
but saturday works

okay great
i'm glad i can finally meet u 🙂

me too 🙂
that emoji makes me uncomfortable
it's only cute when you do it

aw thank you 🙂🙂🙂

stop
ur cute
anyways
so you're driving here on friday night
right?

yup
so anytime saturday will work for me
it's like a 3 hr drive and i'm leaving at 8
so i'll get to atlanta around 11 and
check into my hotel and go to bed
preferably anytime after noon works

okay great
i know cute little diner we could go to
they make the best fucking smoothies
i've ever had in my entire life
does like 4:30-5 sound good?

yeah that's good

great
i'll see you then 🫡

see ya 🙂

🤭🤭🤭

. . .

AUTHOR'S NOTE ## boring ahh chapter. i take the blame for that, i wrote it. haha. 😐. anyway thanks for reading!!! remember that i love you <3

-ani ❤️