xv. decision/burden.

chapter fifteen . . . decision/burden.
─────────────────────────

instagram!

@jonathandavissofficial added to their story.

. . .

real life!

"JD, REALLY, IT'S FINE." Avalon insisted for what felt like the hundredth time. "I'll find a hotel to stay in for the next few days while I'm looking for an apartment."

"No." He shook his head, "Just stay at my place. Besides, you'll love LA."

"I don't wanna be a burden." Avalon stated quickly, focusing on the road passing by.

"You wouldn't be." Jonathan assured. Avalon could feel his gaze lingering on the side of her face, ignoring the heat rising in her cheeks, she listened to him continue, "So, we get to your old place, I'll help you get all your shit. Then instead of me taking a plane back to LA, we drive there, together. And you stay with me."

It was a tempting plan, it truly was. "How long is a drive from Charleston to LA anyway?" Avalon sighed, glancing at their Uber driver who seemed to have no interest in their conversation.

"I'll look it up." JD picked up his phone, typing a quick search into Google, "36 hours."

"36 fucking hours?" Avalon's eyes grew wide, "You could take a plane and be there in like six hours."

"But you wouldn't be with me."

Avalon turned her head to face him again as the driver pulled up slowly against the curb outside the house. Meeting JD's gaze, she neatly melted into it. Her brain was telling her one thing — the better option — but her chest was beating a million times a minute, "Fine. I'll go."

"Yay!" He cheered as Avalon hopped out of the car, JD following in suit.

"Thanks for the ride." Avalon handed off the money to their driver who nodded gratefully. They grabbed their belongings from the trunk and the man drove away slowly as the two approached the front door. "Let's hope Parker isn't home."

"His car was out front though." Jonathan acknowledged, placing his stuff beside the door where Avalon placed her's once the door was unlocked.

"Parker?" Avalon called loudly, her voice echoing through the foyer. No response. "Maybe he got picked up by friends or something."

"Hopefully." JD replied, eyes trailing along the interior of the home, "Cute place."

"Thanks." Avalon smiled faintly, walking towards the bedroom door. She placed her ear up against the door, just in case, and when she heard nothing she opened the door steadily. "I don't think he's home." She bit her lip, placing her hands on her hips as she looked around, "Can you grab the two suitcases from the closet please? They're on the top shelf."

"Yes ma'am." He agreed, grabbing the suitcases as Avalon went through every drawer, grabbing every single one of the personal belongings, tossing them into the suitcase.

Next, she moved onto the bathroom and then the kitchen and living room until all of her stuff was packed tightly into the suitcases. "Alright, let's go. We got a long ass drive ahead of us."

Avalon picked up most of her bags, JD grabbing the rest of hers along with his. She took one last look around the house before shutting and locking the door behind her.

"What do we have here?" An agitating, grating voice asked, footsteps approaching the pair from the driveway.

"We were just leaving, Parker. Don't make a big deal about it." Avalon dismissed, walking past him without a second glance. She felt JD following closely behind her, but Parker hadn't moved from his spot.

"I actually am gonna make a big deal out of it." Parker stated, causing both Avalon and Jonathan to turn around, "How's you bringing a guy into our house any different than when I brought a girl?"

Avalon raised her eyebrows shockingly, "I know you did not just say that."

"What?" He responded, stepping towards the two in an (attempted) intimidating manner.

"I brought him to help pack up my shit so I can leave." Avalon began, "You brought her to fuck in our bed while we were still together. You can't even try to compare."

"Well-"

"Just drop it, bud." JD cut him off, "We're just leaving anyway."

"Since when were you apart of this conversation, huh?" Parker raised an eyebrow unnaturally, folding his arms over his chest.

"Since you decided to fuck another woman while dating my best friend." JD scoffed incredulously. He took a step back and grabbed Avalon's wrist lightly, giving it a soft tug toward the car. She unlocked the car and they threw all of their bags into the trunk, hopping into the car as Parker watched inconceivably.

"Sorry about him," Avalon frowned, placing the key in the ignition, waiting to speak as the engine roared to life, "I really didn't think he would be home."

"It's not your fault." Jonathan shook his head ever-so-slightly.

Avalon didn't say anything after that, connecting her phone to the Bluetooth system before scrolling through Spotify to find a song.

Holy Mountains by System Of A Down.

The pair smiled instantly, turning their heads to face each other with a laugh. "LA ain't ready for me." Avalon shrugged with a guiltless grin laced across her lips. JD swung an arm around the back of her headrest, eyes focused on the lone roads ahead of them, excited to go back home with her.

. . .

AUTHOR'S NOTE ## slowly gaining back more motivation for this book.