Chapter FOUR: Liss

Liss kept to the side of the torch-lit cobbled paths that twisted through the village, tipping back Mell's potion. The syrup's taste was pleasantly herbal with a hint of honey. A drop of the liquid ran down her chin, and she wiped it away with the back of her hand.

Despite the horrifying events of the evening, she found herself laughing. Dev had kept the details of the announcement a secret, because he actually believed things might have gone worse. How ridiculous!

And then, Mell... She'd known, too!

Liss blew a flustered note of air through her lips as she neared the Great Hall. At least she was feeling better physically. Warmer. Less stifled. A little loopy, maybe. Mell's concoction was working, but it was anyone's guess how long it would last.

Elves filed past her into the open expanse of the dining hall. The feast was laid out on long buffet tables covered in teal tablecloths embroidered with gold ribbons. Steam rose from an assortment of colorful foods displayed on oversize platters. Several of the flower arrangements from outside the sacral tent had been moved inside the hall to line the aisles between tables. Every chandelier was ablaze with candles.

Liss took cautious steps into the celebration, noting who was already seated and eating. Mell stood in a corner of the room with her fellow Healers, a handful of women and a few men, all of them huddled together with nervous faces. The seven members of the Council and most of the less concerned clansfolk were scattered about the dining room, chatting or filling their plates. Liss didn't see Dev.

"There you are. Congratulations!"

Rana looked too happy, like she might implode in a blissful burst of light. Liss wasn't sure she'd have minded. Did that make her a terrible person?

"Thanks," she muttered, glancing over her shoulder for a diversion to excuse herself. Eventually, she sighed and took the bait. "The food smells good."

"It does," Rana agreed, all too eager. "The topfish was caught today. I heard Len and Pile talking about their bounty this afternoon when they got back from rounds. The way the fish harvest has been going, there should be enough to cure for winter." She followed Liss toward the buffet tables with close, shuffling steps.

Why did Rana waste so much time trying to spark a friendship? Maybe she liked the challenge?

"So. Liss." The quiet hesitancy set off warning signals. What was she going to bring up now? "About the announcement. Will you be signing up?"

And there it was...

"Will you?" Liss would sound like a fool if she feigned ignorance. But she didn't have to answer.

"Yes. I'm excited to serve the clan. I just need to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes."

"I see."

Liss filled her plate with fish, roasted red carrots, and a buttered puff bun. It was a struggle to not stab things with the serving utensils. Pitchers of water and clean glasses waited for them at the tables. Liss sat down, and Rana joined, both of them pouring out drinks. For a minute or two there was only background chatter and the sounds of hungry elves eating. But Rana wasn't the type to tolerate a lull in conversation for long.

"There are many attractive men in the clan, wouldn't you agree?"

"I guess so." Liss stared at her plate, herding chopped bits of carrot onto her fork. "I hadn't really thought about it."

"I suppose when you have a best friend who looks like Dev, you don't need to look much further."

"What exactly are you trying to say?" Liss set down her fork and crossed her arms over the fancy tablecloth. It was an etiquette offense the Council would balk at, but no one was watching. At least she didn't think so. Not that she really cared.